Discussion of How to get/keep people diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't speak for all areas of the country... but around here... people drop out of diving because there is no good (warm water) diving.

The NE coast has some fabulous diving... but for inland stores (those 2-3 hours or more from the shore) there are only quarries... and none of those are particularly exciting after you've done them a few times. It becomes boring - the same old dredge up the gear and dive in 40 degree water with 10 feet of vis and look at the same old cabin cruiser. It is diving for the sake of diving - not for fun. It's something to do... and it may even quench the thirst of a hardcore NE diver... but it still isn't fun.

So, people around here drop out of diving because there is nothing close by that it fun and inexpensive. That's what people want. They want diving to be fun - and inexpensive... and oh... by the way... 90% of them want it to be in warm clear water.

My suggestion for the Midatlantic region is for all dive shop owners to get together and have a meeting about building a world class indoor diving facility. Yes it would be expensive... but I'm talking an artificial wreck... salt water tank... with real reef fish. I'm talking a multi-million dollar facility that would bring people from all over the world to dive in it.

I'm telling you this could work... and I'm in... but we need about 20 dive shops who are as hardcore into this as I am who can afford about $100,000 each to get the project rolling. With two million in hand... we can make this happen. Is anyone out there?

Back
Top Bottom