Discussion on Full Face masks with communication systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The M-48 seems like a great idea but the thing will more than double the size of your head, that just seems too cumbersome.

I currently have it narrowed down to the OTS Gaurdian or the Ocean Reef Space. Right now I have a great price quote on a pair of new Ocean Reef Spaces so they are currently the front runner.

We are considering switching to full face masks with wireless communication systems. We are recreational divers and would enjoy the ability to communicate directly via voice. We understand the basic pros and cons of these setups but would like to hear from people who have used these and get feedback from them.

Another vote for a KM Mk48. For the price, quality and features, it's a great choice.

Attachments

• KM MK48.JPG
    KM MK48.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 469
The M-48 is a great choice for a mask with a switch block. However, the comms don't fit into it quite as well, and not to mention that you have a mouthpiece in your mouth, and when you talk, it sounds like it. Let me say that our team member who dives the M48 is sometimes very difficult to understand.

I have a Guardian FFM, and the wireless comms work flawlessly with that mask.

You need to decide what your priority for the mask. Communication, or ability to have redundancy and a backup regulator. Personally, I don't let the need to baliout influence which mask I use. If I'm doing a dive where I need communications, and it's not a decompression dive, I prefer the Guardian.

Take the mouth piece out, problem solved.

Switch block? The front of the mask pops off with the regulator so you can either jamb another in your mouth or pop another pod with regulator on. No need for a switch block (prpoper term is a side block) like you would need for an OTS, AGA or Ocean Reef.

The M-48 seems like a great idea but the thing will more than double the size of your head, that just seems too cumbersome.

I currently have it narrowed down to the OTS Gaurdian or the Ocean Reef Space. Right now I have a great price quote on a pair of new Ocean Reef Spaces so they are currently the front runner.

The M-48 has less internal air space than either the AGA or the Gaurdian. The lower half of the mask is jointed so it reduces jaw fatuge unlike the other masks mentioned that have a fully rigid frame. I don't think the regulator pod sticks out any further than the Ocean Reef or AGA. And the internal mouth piece reduces the amount of space you need to vent to reduce CO2 build up. The AGA and Gaurdian use a oral nasal cup that won't necessarily seal aginst the face and is a larger space to vent.

Another vote for a KM Mk48. For the price, quality and features, it's a great choice.

Dude! I want one of those NATO pods! :eyebrow:

Dude! I want one of those NATO pods! :eyebrow:

That's not a NATO pod. That's a scuba pod with a DSV.

Jaw fatigue has little or nothing to do with the rigid frame of the masks. It has to do with improper adjustment of the top strap. CO2 accumulation in the Guardian has shown to be extremely low in testing. It's also probably the most comfortable mask compared to any previously mentioned. I've dived them all, but I'll be the first to admit, I'm biased.

That's not a NATO pod. That's a scuba pod with a DSV.

Your saying it is a scuba pod with a rebreather mouth piece stuck in it. I.e. a Megladon RB DSV mouth piece mated up to a Kirby Morgan scuba pod, right?

Jaw fatigue has little or nothing to do with the rigid frame of the masks. It has to do with improper adjustment of the top strap. CO2 accumulation in the Guardian has shown to be extremely low in testing. It's also probably the most comfortable mask compared to any previously mentioned. I've dived them all, but I'll be the first to admit, I'm biased.

I have not seen any testing data (have you any?) but I have a hard time beliving any full face mask, that is not in free flow, being less CO2 retaining than a standard scuba firest stage regulator.

I have test results comparing a couple of full face masks. Not for the M-48. Nothing comparing a full face mask to a standard second stage. I'm also not going to trash the M-48, it's a good mask for several tasks and better with the Mod 1. For rebreathers it's really the only and best option out there. For tech diving, it's great. For the average Joe diver, I think there are very good choices. The Guardian and the Interspiro being two of the best. CO2 is sufficiently low in both with the Guardian being excellent to the point that it's not a concern at all. To the OOA issue, I ran out of gas once in 1979. Learned at 90 feet not to do that again. Sure there is always the possibility of something happening out of our control that might lead to a situation that would require bailout or other emergency procedures, but that's what training and equipment is for. For the overall diving experience for most divers, I think the Guardian is a very good choice. But again, I'm biased...

To the photo, yep, that's a scuba pod with a DSV. Looks like AP Valves hose connections, but it's someone else's DSV/BOV, maybe a Golem.

Here's a photo of a Nato Pod with a BOV.

attachment.php

Attachments

• KM MK48 NATO.jpg
    KM MK48 NATO.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 511
Anyone shopped around for these? The range of prices for the same item is ridiculous.

I would love to be able to test out more than one type in one place but finding a local shop that carries even one type on hand is rare.

The Drager Nova is by far the best FFM. The field of view is much better than any other mask. You can have up to three gas sources plugged into three p-ports at the same time (although I do not recommend that), but two gas sources and one com system are easy. Any gas source can be easily switched for another under water without the mask flooding. The com systems can be inserted and removed in few seconds (you have to cut the rubber on MK-48 when installing comms, so they can never be removed).
The Buddy Phone is self contained on the mask
The mask is very comfortable (we used it on movie shoots for over 8hrs a day for weeks on)
More details on the mask here
Golem Gear, Inc. - Draeger Panorama Nova R full face mask

and the coms here
Golem Gear, Inc. - Buddy Phone for FFM

The rescue squad that I am training use several different models. The all seem to be good. The AGA seems to be the best or most popular around hear. They run about $1000.00 and maybe down to $600.00 for slightly used trainers that have been used in the pool. They all seem to breath well but keep in mind the added volume will also consume more of your air. They are on demand but also a positive pressure which keeps out bad water so to speak. The best thing is to just have a regular oct and a pocket mask for emergencies. If something goes south the dive should be over anyway, surface and fix the problem. Attempting to repair your lines or connections under water would be a very foolish move.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom