Displaced clavicular fracture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had Orif surgery to fix my clavicle almost 2 years after smashing it in a motorcycle accident. I spent 6 weeks not really doing anything with the shoulder, but did use a stationary bike 3 or 4 times per week. After 6 weeks I started physiotherapy, and was back diving after 10 weeks. Valve drills were OK, but getting in and out of my drysuit took some doing. That was Nov 2013, and I'd say I rarely have much more than a little twinge now with it, but it did take pretty much a whole year to stop hurting some.

I broke my clavicle on my son's birthday (end of March) while mountain biking :cool2:
Fracture was minor so I did not need any plate or screw.
But it is the same side of the body where I broke (few years ago - motorcycle accident on a major holiday) scapula and 5 ribs.

Everything hurts. Even more when the weather changes.

I was back on the mountain bike (and motorcycle and diving) last week. But I am a bit more careful and slower.

I have learned that I should not do any physical activity on a major holiday or anniversary / birthday.

Today is my birthday. I will stay on the couch the whole day :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

... I broke three ribs playing rugby in 2004 (lesson learned: playing rugby against Samoans on a frozen pitch in a night game in Japan is never a good idea). They still ache at random intervals. Do yours ever flare up? ...

In Feb 1997, I fell about sixty feet onto a high angle slope and separated a rib or two. That connective tissue was already in bad shape after a bout of extreme coughing from pulmonary edema. A little bit of air time cinched it.

I still have to adjust loads carefully to avoid pressing on them in a certain way. But these days, I mostly forget about them for months at a time.

In Feb 1997, I fell about sixty feet onto a high angle slope and separated a rib or two. That connective tissue was already in bad shape after a bout of extreme coughing from pulmonary edema. A little bit of air time cinched it.

I still have to adjust loads carefully to avoid pressing on them in a certain way. But these days, I mostly forget about them for months at a time.

High speed descent? :)

Ouch

Tobin

---------- Post added May 5th, 2015 at 10:49 AM ----------

I broke my clavicle on my son's birthday (end of March) while mountain biking :cool2:
Fracture was minor so I did not need any plate or screw.
But it is the same side of the body where I broke (few years ago - motorcycle accident on a major holiday) scapula and 5 ribs.

Everything hurts. Even more when the weather changes.

I was back on the mountain bike (and motorcycle and diving) last week. But I am a bit more careful and slower.

I have learned that I should not do any physical activity on a major holiday or anniversary / birthday.

Today is my birthday. I will stay on the couch the whole day :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Happy Birthday!

Tobin

High speed descent? :) Ouch

:laughing:

I doubt it hurt anywhere near as bad as a cycling accident.

I had padding. There was fresh snowfall. I was wearing a thick down parka under a storm shell. I think slowing down gradually helps. I slid and flipped for about five high quality obscenities.

The hardest part was figuring out how to get out of the trench I dug. My hood was jammed full of snow. The slope had another thousand feet plus of runout below. Couldn't sit up, couldn't twist at the waist. I ended up crawling around on my stomach like a caterpillar until I was pointed uphill again, so I could stand up. Fun times.

Happy Birthday, Alberto!

cake.png

My mother told me I would regret every bone I broke when I was 30. She was wrong.

I started regretting them at 40. I regret most of them a great deal now, at 60. The collarbone is one of the least annoying of the 23, though.

Back
Top Bottom