Disturbing rumour about making Shark's Cove off-limits to divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...and to think that I remember a time (the 60's) when we had the place almost to ourselves for whole weekends... I suppose that's the greatest regret: Not being able to share what was.

the cove parking seems to have changed recently, with a cop no longer allowing dual sided parking, because apparrently it obscures their ability to look for break ins and also cleared out the bus lane parking on top, so by 8am! its already past the rock wall, back to the bushes where there are breakins thru the bushes, i've seen it, and in front of the houses cross the street, who want the area front their houses for their parking, its out of hand, operators should be kept out, as they are at haunama, and even then there may need to be limited acccess for all the military and tourists now , last 2 times, i saw in after the dive, there were tourists feeding the fish bread and peas, its out of hand and a shame

nshorez, so you think Shark's Cove will be better off with no dive tours. You realize the tour leaders make the only effort to curb fish feeding, fish and shell collecting and rampant reef abuse. If you only allow unguided diving there will be way more damage to Shark's Cove than is already being done.

I dove there early August and while I was getting my fins on I stopped some clueless tourist who was collecting shells by turning over all the rocks out to 3 feet deep. You don't really expect a Shark's Cove permanent enforcement officer in this economy, do you?

Wow - I sure hope the ban on diving does not happen. After snrokelling for years and a few "resort" dives under my belt, it was snorkelling in Shark's Cove in July of 2006 that, whilst watching those lucky divers down below, I decided to get off my butt and get certified, which I did a month later.

Our big trip next year is the GBR and New Zealand, but I was planning on returning to Oahu in 2011, and a big reason was to finally dive SC......

Now I realize you may not want to give out all your secrets, but are there any other nice shore dive spots if SC gets shut down?

When we were there we stayed in Makaha and that looked like, to a snorkeller at the time, it would be a good dive site.....

Fingers crossed for Shark's Cove :D

Makaha is a great dive site..... bit more of a swim to get out there if you are shore diving it but it can be done. We'll look forward to having you back in Oahu to put that cert card to use.... I wouldn't worry, you'll still be able to dive the cove!

G

Sigh...a SC permanent enforcement officer! That would be a bit of all right. But let's get back to reality, shall we...

Mikeyjoe - you will love SC, I guarantee you. Bring a picnic and make sure you do it as both a day and a night dive - you won't be sorry. And there are heaps of amazing shore diving spots on Oahu in addition to SC. You can check out this website Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Oahu, Hawaiian Islands for an idea of what's available. I also just saw a little desktop-published Oahu shore diving guide book (or so it seemed) for sale in my local dive shop. It contains excellent directions, descriptions, and maps for shore dive sites all over the island. Don't know the title and author off the top of my head, but I'll find out tonight and post the details for you.

Mikeyjoe - the book is called, "The O'ahu Snorkelers and Shore Divers' Guide", by Francisco B. de Carvalho (University of HI Press, 2003).

Excellent book, but the underwater maps are a bit dated for several sites. One site directions are off a bit too. Worthwhile purchase, even if dated.

Although this discussion is good, what Sharks cove really needs, as does the entire Marine Life Conservation District, is for each and every concerned visitor to make a self pledge to keep an extra eye open while visiting the MLCD and act if they see something.

I spend most of each summer diving in the MLCD and I have lost count of how many times I have seen illegal or improper activity taking place and all the while, a handful of regular visitors goes about their diving or snorkeling activities without say or doing a thing to prevent it.

I know many people don't want to "get involved" or may not know how, but "we" as a community can all do our part to help. We can stop visitors from feeding the fish, or learn about the rules and report violations to DLNR when we see them, or even volunteer to help our local community conservation group that is dedicated to protecting the MLCD.

We can all lead by example in every area from considerate parking to ethical dive practices.

If every resident or repeat visitor that enjoys the MLCD, called DLNR (587-0077) every time they saw an infraction, then the voice would be too loud to ignore.
Click here if you want to learn more about "Malama Pupukea Waimea" or just come by 3 tables this Saturday and see what we are all about.

Mahalo for caring about Pupukea MLCD.
ScubaDrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom