Ditch analog pressure gauge for Suunto D9?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better to have both.
I'm not sure if it is correct that you need to pair the D9 for each use!?
I have seen divers trying to turn on and off their tanks to try and pair them under water...
Also much easier to quickly check the tank pressure before the dive and see if the tank is open.

I back up my AI computer with a brass & glass SPG. I'm a radio technician by trade and I know enough about it to not completely trust my life to modulated RF. Hell it took me years to accept Wi-Fi into my house.

Also, why the D9? Suuntos are notoriously conservative in bottom time plus the D9 itself is pretty freakin expensive compared to other models that do the same thing. And I'm not going to get into the joys of user-replaceable batteries, which few Suunto devices offer. But if you're getting a hellacious deal on it, that's cool.

Peace,
Greg

And I'm not going to get into the joys of user-replaceable batteries, which few Suunto devices offer. But if you're getting a hellacious deal on it, that's cool.
@kanonfodr: FYI, I change the batteries in all of my Suunto dive computers (Favor, Vyper, Gekko, Mosquito). It's probably one of the easier DIY scuba repairs out there. I don't think that the Favor is advertised to have a user-replaceable battery...but, of the Suuntos that I own, it's probably the easiest to replace. Unfortunately, it seems as though Suunto recommends that the batteries for its latest computers (D4, D6, D9) be replaced by an authorized Suunto repair center. :shakehead: That's a step in the wrong direction IMHO.

I agree that the Suunto D9 seems too expensive for what it is. But then again, I'm not a big fan of AI computers.

I have a D6 and am not a fan of its very conservative bottom times (especially multiple dives). Personally I prefer Uwatec or Oceanic computers.

I have had a d9 for over 200 dives with no issues with transmitter providing tank info. I did however have an issue with the battery failing while on a long trip and could not replace battery. I did not use spg with d9 and did well.

I did have a failure of a transmitter with my luna but at that time had an spg attached that saved two dives. I now dive with both the transmitter and spg but the spg used only for backup. I never thought I would use it but did. It seems safer. I dive with a backup computer too, so I just may be a wimp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom