Dive boat dive guide VS my computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should plan your dive and dive your plan. Nearly all computers are conservative in their NDL timing, whihc is good, and safe. Even though I dive with a computer I also calculate ndl and pressure group from tables for every dive. Just a hang up of mine going back to pre-computer times. A consevative diver is a safe diver. I think you did what I would have done. You don't have to terminate the dive, just go to shallower depth while the rest of the group dives deeper.

DivemasterDennis

Pick the equipment you are going to trust whether that is the tables or the computer and use the other for just reference.
So as long as the computer seems to be working and the difference between it and what you expect after referencing the tables is within an expected variation ( The computer should credit you for time at less than bottom since no dive in reality is perfectly square ) Dive trusting the equipment you paid for and paid to maintain unless a divebuddy has more conservative requirements. You should always follow the buddy who needs to be most conservative due to his/her equipment or prior dives. Regardless of the reason why,(nitrogen or air) if someone is pointing to their computer and then signaling to ascend that person and their divebuddy should next be starting their ascent. Let the DM continue if others in the party are within safe levels. DMs are human and make mistakes don't follow other peoples mistakes! In this case the DM shouldn't have told you to ignore your computer and you shouldn't even consider obeying.

As a dive guide,I find recreational divers ignore their computers enough on their own...they do not need any help from me! Safe diving is 'your' responsibility.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

OK, I just have to ask this question. I just got back from a vacation in Maui, and my wife and I did a couple of days diving. On the second day, first dive, they said we would have about 26 minutes at 85 fsw, according to the PADI dive tables.

While we were down, I was watching my Mosquito computer, which also gave me ~26 minutes. At about 2 minutes of NDT left by my Suunto, I signaled the DM by pointing at my computer, then up.

After everyone else came back up a few minutes later, the DM came over to me, and basically said to ignore my computer as it was wrong.

To be honest, this sort of concerned me. Besides, according to my NAUI table, I had only had 22 minutes at 85 fsw (started the day as an A diver). I mean, I am supposed to plan my dive, and dive my plan. I did this, but was told something otherwise.

So, in the future, should I do what the DMs have planned, or listen to my NAUI table and computer?

Jimmie

I dont see what the problem is... NAUI/PADI are not the only tables... They are ultra conservative... Navy Table shows 30min @ 90', So 26min at 85' is fine. Royal Navy and Canadian tables agree as well. Instead of beating up the DM now on this forum, why didnt you ask about the profile after the dive...? He or the captain may have clarified that to you. Being in the Hawaii area, you will find alot of ex-navy divers and captains...

:holysheep: it's the :police: O ya just to let you know it was 7 years :mooner:

Yeah, but everybody loves the occasional...

22008d1249943492-how-price-labor-4-vinyl-fence-zombie_1-9316_640x480.jpg

Back
Top Bottom