Dive boat dive guide VS my computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also tend to agree with the DM. I was on a dive recently where at around 25 meters my Suunto dive computer showed a four minute deco obligation at a 3 meter ceiling (we had around 2/3s of our gas left or perhaps a bit left). However, this 4 minute deco obligation on a Suunto dive computer includes the ascent time and the 3 minute safety stop. As we slowly made our way to the top around the wreck we were dving, the deco obligation cleared long before we were near the 3 meter ceiling.

The original poster talked about aborting the dive because at around 25 meters their dive computer showed 2 minutes of NDT on a Suunto computer. With the recommended 3 minute safety stop and ~3 minutes of 10m/s ascent time, there would be 6 minutes to the surface; so a 2 minute NDL is nothing to worry about at all and even if this became a "decompression dive" the small deco obligation would be cleared during a normal slow ascent during the remainder of the "multilevel" dive.

To simply "abort" the dive with a Suunto computer showing 2 minutes of NDL shows a lack of understand how Suunto computers work. The DM was not necessarily correct in saying that the Suunto was wrong; but on the other hand, there was certainly no reason to abort the dive based on the information provided by the OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom