Dive Boat Etiquette on SoCal Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sapphire:
ROFL Ken!!

6 up on NoCal, baby.

5.5 up on LowCal.

The rest of MLB is looking at our big, blue tucas.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
6 up on NoCal, baby.

5.5 up on LowCal.

The rest of MLB is looking at our big, blue tucas.

---
Ken

When the day is done, you still live in so-cal, where visibility is a concern for everyone, I mean above water, trying to peer through the brown muck thats in your air, while you drink the water that flows out of Lake Shasta and our other Nor-Cal lakes :wink:

Jen, did you hear something?

I swear, it sounded like a NoCal tear hitting the empty season seat in front of him. Either that, or the crying agony of people breaking limbs jumping off the Oakfrancisco Baseball bandwagon. Yeah - the playoffs will be stopping in Frisco real soon.

Friggen Yancy-get-a-real-name throws 98, and Bonds hasn't even suited up.

12-2. Deal with it. :10:

---
Ken

Haha, now I see why the Socal and NorCal boards are separated. You can have your sports teams, I will take my wide open spaces and breathable air. :wink:

Ahh I jab at ya, but what would we do without you, if we didn't have SoCal, we wouldn't have Ahnold as the Gov

Someone earlier recommended arriving with a full tank. I dive out of Ventura and Santa Barbara, and I rarely arrive with a full tank. One boat charged me $4 for an initial fill, but no one ever seemed to mind.

I don't think it's rude, do you?

The whole reason I bought a tank was so I wouldn't have to stop by the dive shop before taking off from SLO to SB, LA, or Ventura.

I must say, I'm surprised at how many people don't tip at least 15%. The crew feeds you, fills your tanks, checks your air and general set up before you enter the water, takes roll after each dive, briefs you on each site, will jump in the water to save your life, store your forgotten gear in lost and found, and will often be very friendly.

pasley:
10. If you must bring booze, make it a 21+ year old scotch and bring enough to share after the dive is over. Single malt is fine, but a quality blended will do too.

I was with ya all the way up to the "blended" :flush: part. Heresy!! I just finished a fine Balvenie 21 so I am down to the 18yr Glenmorangie. :eyebrow:

I wouldn’t have thought it necessary to add this to the discussion, but last Sunday’s experience aboard The Great Escape proved me wrong. To put it bluntly,

TAKE THE POST-DIVE ROLL CALL AS SERIOUSLY AS EVERYONE ELSE DOES!!!

We finished our first dive, and the divemaster called everyone to the rear of the boat so he could conduct an audio/visual roll call before heading to the next site. They’d made it perfectly clear earlier that they expected you to be present for roll call, and not just yell “Here!” from the depths of the boat or have someone else answer for you. Almost immediately, the roll call was held up while they started looking for someone who didn’t answer up. After a few minutes of repeatedly calling his name, someone managed to dredge up this scrawny fifteen-year old kid who shuffled out onto the rear deck, looking annoyed at being inconvenienced by the divemaster’s insistence on actually seeing him. He finally piped up with a surly “Here!” and a roll of his eyes. I wanted to backhand the little snot, then go find his parents and smack them as well for raising such a dimwit.

Please bear in mind that there are very good reasons for divemasters insisting on hearing AND seeing you. If you’re new around here or new to diving, you may not have heard of some incidents in the last few years involving divers getting left behind by dive boats (please don’t hijack this thread with arguments about whose fault those incidents were – that's irrelevant to our discussion here). Any divemaster worth his C-card doesn’t want that to occur on their watch, and neither do the boat captains. No matter whose fault it is, it’s their arse in a sling if anything like that happens. So please cut them some slack and get with the roll call program, even if your teenage attitude has you convinced that you’re too cool to answer up.

Of course, this is sound advice for ANY dive boat, not just the ones in Southern California.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom