Dive Boat Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If divers were taught how to rinse their masks when they learned to dive, boat crews wouldn't have to explain. Actually, the problem is so massive at this point, I can't imagine it ever getting fixed. I either rinse my mask in the ocean after we stop or I enter with my mask in my hand, then rinse and don as I descend. It's not a big deal, it's easy to work around, it's just amazing that such a large % of divers don't think about their actions.

I was on a boat this spring where the DM applied sort of a goopy anti-fog to everyone's mask on the way out to the first site then put them all in the bucket til we got there. You had to rinse it pretty long in the bucket to get it all off. But it seemed to work, I don't remember having any fogging that whole trip - and I have a Tusa Visualator which normally fogs if I even think about it.

webhead:
Don/Walter, I don't think I've ever heard a briefing that included etiquette on the rinse buckets... just that this one's for masks and this one's for cameras. But they always make sure they explain the head - what does not go into it and how to flush it.
That's because if something goes wrong with the head, the crew has to clean it...

I'm sure topics like this come up a lot. I think the captain of the boat should be responsible for telling people how to use his rinse bucket. I know I got trained in a pool/from shore, so there never was a rinse bucket. You don't have those problems when all you have is a hose.

I can see why a captain might be anxious to get everything over with, but that in no way gives him the permission to rush divers past the point of safety. That said a diver should be watching for what is beneath him. But a brand new diver is often nervous and thus very dependent on his dive instructors & boat captains. The captain shouldn't let his alcoholism get in the way of that stewardship.

Not sure how rinse tanks for masks has anything to do with OP's question.

As far as the anxious Captain rushing people into the water is concerned TheRedHead had the best response for that.

Geez... I'm agreeing with you a lot these days. Post something over in the BC forum so I can disagree for a change. It's more entertaining.

As far as Dive Boat Etiquette goes "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

I think the Skipper has enough to brief divers on, hoping to keep their attention on the prelaunch safety briefing that I can't see the mask bucket being included in detail - other than to ask divers to not put mask in cameral bucket.

I just avoid the mask bucket. Pour some drinking water into the mask and dump it overboard.

I think I am the guy on the boat rinsing my mask in the rinse bucket, I definetly know better than to use the camera bucket but, I was taught to use the rinse bucket as a rinse bucket for rinsing off defog. In fact some of the boats I have been on the rinse bucket had defog to begin with. And I have been on quite a few dive boats and no one has told me otherwise. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone on this board. I know this sounds like common sense when its called a rinse bucket and not a defog bucket but this is what I was taught from day one and no one has ever told me otherwise.

Crawl79:
I think I am the guy on the boat rinsing my mask in the rinse bucket, I definetly know better than to use the camera bucket but, I was taught to use the rinse bucket as a rinse bucket for rinsing off defog. In fact some of the boats I have been on the rinse bucket had defog to begin with. And I have been on quite a few dive boats and no one has told me otherwise. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone on this board. I know this sounds like common sense when its called a rinse bucket and not a defog bucket but this is what I was taught from day one and no one has ever told me otherwise.
Yeah, some do have defog (cheap shampoo) in them. And different boat protocals vary, not your bad.

One thing I do really want to avoid is rinsing my mask in the same bucket as the snot spitters. :11:

Always remember if it's feasible to ask permission to board from the Captain. I see a lot of people that just hop on oblivious. This generally makes a Captain's day and they generally have more respect for you.

Howabout, getting out of the way after you've dropped into the ocean. God forbid someone land on you and you have to then put MOF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom