Dive Boat Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
Make way if people who are on the verge of seasickness are geared up and want to get off the boat first and on the boat last.

Ber :lilbunny:

First time I have seen anyone say this and as one who suffers on small boats I have to say I like it. If I am close to the edge I want OFF THE BOAT ASAP as I know that as soon as I get to 30 feet or so I will be fine.

If the captain is dropping a diver to get the bouy, let him concentrate and stay out of his line of vision. Keeping your eye on any diver in the water so he can manuever is helpful. Point to the diver so he can look away if needed.

Realize channels sometimes have different rules regarding sitting on the bow, flushing heads, etc so keep alert for these differences. Try and act normal if in sight of the Coasties.

Zip divers who are struggling, don't be shy to steady someone trying to get a leg into a wetsuit or make their way to the exit point. Don't step on fins, offer suggestions to new divers not condescending cracks that will embarass them. Remember, the new diver who has not figured the head out might be your kid's brain surgeon or your pilot home next week.
Chances are, if they can afford to vacation and dive they might just be an expert at something somewhere.

Offer snot checks casually.

Offer water to puking fellow thrill seekers.

Keep an eye out for masks or items that might go overboard and if you move an item, tell the owner where you put it.

Alert divers if they are getting burned by the sun but don't nag. Offer extra weight to people who splash and look like they are realizing they don't have enough or ask "would you like another 2#'s?" Sometimes I even leave a 2 at the mooring line on the bottom.

Pass on your most important tip to others if you have done the dive many times, even when you are not in charge. "watch for outriggers over your heads, folks!" ...that sort of thing.

Help divers to their tank slot if the guide is not available, even if it is just pointing and moving over.

Underwater, be ready to help a new diver who has lost their integrated weights unexpectantly, to stay on the line for the safety stop. Alert fellow divers if the tank is about to skip town, etc.

Make conversation if you see someone who looks really nervous to see what the deal is and help them feel better. Compliment new divers on something (anything) that they are figuring out and doing right.

Be conscious of cameras and don't drop things on expensive ports, etc. Yes, we are special. We are special because we sold our first born to buy that stuff. Have some respect. The bigger the camera, the more respect, that's just the way it is.

When the captain is docking the boat, stay out of his line of vision and settle down a bit. I usually offer to take some trash when I go or offer to help carry tanks. Always ask because some operators will appreciate it and others don't want the liabilty. Make yourself an asset and you might be given a special price or go for free!

Introducing people, even if tourists is really important. Some people are not comfortable introducing themselves and having another diver to chat with makes their trip more fun.

Oh...don't have a computer that alarms at every parameter, which you then ignore. That really bugs people because they keep checking to see what the problem is.

www.scubamazing.com:
IBut a brand new diver is often nervous and thus very dependent on his dive instructors & boat captains. The captain shouldn't let his alcoholism get in the way of that stewardship.

A diver that is willing to giant stride into another diver because someone tells him to dive maybe should not be diving. While I understand newer divers are looking for help, if they are certified they are responsible for their own actions, and should behave accordingly.

Generally the DM (not the captain) is at the back of the boat, and tells the diver to go when ready. Not sure why they would be rushing anyone, it's the divers BT they are eating up in general. Drift dives are the exception, but in a strong current you can just go one after another as the current has moved the previous diver out of the way.

As for the last remark, we've gone from *getting to the bar* to accusing the captain of alcoholism. My experience is that divers make more errors than boat Captains, so I'll give him the benifit of a doubt unless someone who was on the boat posts their knowledge of the event.

Most boat captains are NOT hitting the bar when they arrive on dock as there is a lot of things to be done.

Darnold9999:
First time I have seen anyone say this and as one who suffers on small boats I have to say I like it. If I am close to the edge I want OFF THE BOAT ASAP as I know that as soon as I get to 30 feet or so I will be fine.

Mmmm fish food! :popcorn:

I'm sure glad I don't get sea sick... or have not....

Well, some of us learn the hard way.

I just got back from my honeymoon in the Bahamas. I've never dove from a boat. After getting on the boat I see everyone getting their stuff ready so I do the same. I see this large trash can full of water and proceed to dip my BCD in it to wet the tank strap. Yeah, it was the camera rinse bucket, as I was told by the not-so-amused captain. I felt stupid, but it seemed logical to me at the time. :)

EvvScuba:
Well, some of us learn the hard way.

I just got back from my honeymoon in the Bahamas. I've never dove from a boat. After getting on the boat I see everyone getting their stuff ready so I do the same. I see this large trash can full of water and proceed to dip my BCD in it to wet the tank strap. Yeah, it was the camera rinse bucket, as I was told by the not-so-amused captain. I felt stupid, but it seemed logical to me at the time. :)
Oh that had to be embarrassing. :shakehead It should have been well marked, tho: Cameras

Don Janni:
Not sure how rinse tanks for masks has anything to do with OP's question.

Perhaps you misread the question?

Scuba Brad:
What thoughts to you have on Dive Boat Etiquette........what to do and what not to do on Dive Boats? Give us some great examples of both.

Crawl79:
I think I am the guy on the boat rinsing my mask in the rinse bucket,

You and almost everyone else.

Crawl79:
I definetly know better than to use the camera bucket but, I was taught to use the rinse bucket as a rinse bucket for rinsing off defog.

Sure, but after the first persons puts their defog in the bucket, it's no longer useful for anyone else on the boat until the water is changed. Don't sweat it, if you don't do it the next guy will and I stopped using it years ago, so I really don't care.

DandyDon:
Oh that had to be embarrassing. :shakehead It should have been well marked, tho: Cameras

Yeah, it was embarrassing, but it wasn't marked in any way that I could see. I just thought "hey, cool, don't have to walk to the back of the boat". :wink: Course now I know better and will not do it again.

If it were my boat, I'd give a small flyer to everyone when they are signing their lives away which details "my" boat etiquette. I would imagine some boats are different that others.

Of course I should have just asked "hey, what's the bucket for?" before doing anything stupid. :blinking:

Ask permission to board the boat (it's the captain's boat - you wouldn't just walk into someone's house would you?), get out of the way of other divers/crew getting on board (don't confuse the boat with the private mansion you apparently live in all the time), stay very self-contained (you didn't pay for the whole boat just a small space), take the cotton out of your ears and stick it in your mouth (no one really needs to hear your "diving wisdom" anyway), don't put your stupid crapola in the camera tank (especially not on top of my camera, and especially not your pissy wetsuit), follow the rules of the boat (make sure you know the rules, which means follow the "cotton" rule above) and don't put soapy nonsense in the mask rinse bucket (I added this one after reading above). Best rule is don't assume anything - you are a guest, and unless you're the working instructor or divemaster, you have nothing to say to your fellow divers other than offering friendship and cameraderie!

Have fun!!!!

CN

A nice, non-workable idea...
If it were my boat, I'd give a small flyer to everyone when they are signing their lives away which details "my" boat etiquette.
I doubt many would read it, just more litter.

I do try to ask when in doubt, but mistakes happen. Ya hate to look like a total newbie, even when you are, huh? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom