Dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingCGJ

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, getting ready to take my first dive boat trip. So, my question is what items, other than my diving equipment should I take? I'm not referring to mask, bcd, reg, etc. I'm talking other items. What items did you wish you would have taken on your first trip but didnt have a clue you needed, could bring it, etc until you were on the boat.
Also, what do you see others bring, or attempt to bring, on the boat that you just say, OMG I can't believe they are doing that. thanks

Good questions....I would like to know the what everyone says about this too!!!

Aside from water and someting to munch on......
a windproof jacket and something to cover your ears. It can get chilly after a long dive (or cold water dive) and your body and ears will thank you.

Ah, good question......Here's what I recommend....
Water
Waterproof or vinyl jacket
chapstick
sunscreen
dry towel
dry clothes after diving
power bar or something to snack if food isn't provided
sunglasses
dive log
$20 just in case
if they have showers, travel size shampoo (you can use it on your body too)

I bring a change of clothes in a "dry" bag (for boats with a cabin), a sandwich and light snacks, sun screen, hat, binoculars for looking around, some swim goggles in case I want to take a swim between dives, extra eyeglasses. This for a day trip.

If it's a liveaboard, a whole additional topic. Check the archives for some good lists.

It might be a good idea to bring a handkerchief, or some tissues. I don't usually think about stuff like that, but I was glad there happened to be some old napkins in my bag on my last trip. "Dude, what's that hanging out of your nose?!?"

what part of the world will you be in for your boat trip ?

second the dry change of clothes in a dry bag, an extra towel, also in the dry bag. nothing worse than being cold and wet. windbreaker if you are in a cooler part of the world, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, water, water and more water, a snack. Thats on my list of "others". I would think that you are including a small save-a-dive kit in your regular gear, otherwise, bring that along. Depending on the boat (private or charter), I may bring a very small first-aid kit. I try to make all my other gear fit in a backpack or small waterproof bag that can be stowed out of the way in a dry part of the boat. Also, ask where the dryest part of the boat is and assume everything gets wet so a dry bag may be a good purchase.

fs

Bring some cash, If the charter goes well and you decide that you will want to accompany that operation again, then tip the crew of the vessel. A 10-15% tip will go a long way in making sure that you are remembered and "appreciated" in future trips.

I dive frequently with the same operations because I know and trust them. I once took a trip to the keys and hopped a spur of the moment charter with Abyss out of Marathon, The captain was very accomodating and went out of his way make sure I had a great dive. Two years later I just happened to find myself in the neighborhood so I stopped in to book another charter. The Captain remembered me by first name as well as all the details of my last dive. I was quite impressed and had an even better diving experience the second time out with the captain taking us off the beaten path to better areas which housed some very rarely visited jewels of the reef. A Tip will go a long way in procuring this type of relationship with your preferred diveboats.

Gotta love those clear dry bags because you can see everything in the bag. I take my cell phone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom