Dive Boats: What Are 'Yours' Like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

menjangan.jpgmenjangan (1).jpgmenjangan (2).jpg

Every place I dive seems to have its own variants of dive boats. This particular site from the pics above was called Menjangan in NW Bali, Indonesia. Outstanding diving. All of the boats looked just like it (that would be the guide resting), and they moved rather slow (notice the outboard). But that's part of the deal, and it slows down the pace of life. It was only half hour to the site blazing along at 10 knots or so. :). I think they cost about USD 50 for a day for the boat, plus guide and tanks and driver, etc. Overall pretty cheap diving and a truly special place to dive. That is, if you like 40 meter vis and warm water.

Diving in Thailand can be done from a nice 40 foot speedboat with twin or triple 300 hp outboards for about usd100 per person for a 2 tank dive. Below is an example. I wasn't on this boat but the liveaboard I was on stopped at an island and this boat was parked there.

Or half that for local distances from a wooden longtail boat.thailand.jpg

Diving in the Philippines is really interesting - most places I've been dive from small wooden boats with pontoons. My wife learned to get into boat always by removing gear first and letting the crew pull it up. Costs usually around usd 30 a dive, including the guide and tank.

Philippines dive boat
cebu 103.jpg

Last edited:
Tobermory dive boats have evolved over the years. Originally, most were "converted" fish tugs (i.e. hosed down), but now most boats are purpose-built boats...

I"m a bit fuzzy on rates since I have my own boat, but I think in the $50/$90 half/full day charter...

Tobermory dive boats have evolved over the years. Originally, most were "converted" fish tugs (i.e. hosed down), but now most boats are purpose-built boats...

I"m a bit fuzzy on rates since I have my own boat, but I think in the $50/$90 half/full day charter...

Ya, like The Lark. It was a very old boat and should have been scraped when I dove off it in 1973.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2014 at 05:42 AM ----------

6e9e9utu.jpg

CoCo View Resort. Roatan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, like The Lark. It was a very old boat and should have been scraped when I dove off it in 1973.

The good old Lark is still around and afloat, amazingly. I'm presenting a talk on the history of diving in Tobermory for a conference in a couple of weeks, and it was certainly one of the original boats there. Her owner, Murray Ransbury, was a bit of a character, and one of the first guys to dive in those parts. He passed away many years ago, but his wife and daughter still operate the local hardware store!

NC diving is done off bigger boats (up to 20+ divers) and smaller 6 packs. Cost are about $150 per diver and you get to pay to sit on a bouncing boat for 2-3 hrs to and from the dive sites.

That is for the further off sights. There are ledges and wrecks with 1 -2 hour rides and costs in $100 to $125 range. You provide all equipment or rent it as an extra. They do have weights. These are for 2 tank dives.

Last year when we were in Tobey, we were diving off the Lark w/ "Captain Dan" / G&S Sports. At the dock one morning there was this old timer poking around. Turns out he was the captain of the lark back in the day as a fishing boat. He came out on the dive with us, and on the return, was given a few minutes at the helm. The smile on the man's face was just spiritual. Something I will treasure for years....

The Lark may be old and slow, but holds a special place in many hearts.

Such a wide variety of boats out here in SoCal. Most come out to my island (Catalina) to dive, even if they are mainland based. Local island boats may hold 24-32 divers are up to 65' long. Price about $135 for a three tank day.

48 foot purpose built dive boat. Max of 20, but normally only 10 or 12 divers on them, the rest are just snorkelers. Cost is $80 for a 3 tank dive, lunch is included. Time to dive sites is around one hour.

The outfit I usually go with runs a 30-foot, open diesel and usually goes with no more than eight people. Distance to sites are usually only 2 to 3 nautical miles from the harbor, making for trips that are usually about 3 hours long (we go to two different sites). I pay a club rate of $75 to dive two tanks of nitrox (price includes only the tanks - no gear).

View attachment 182424View attachment 182425View attachment 182426

Every place I dive seems to have its own variants of dive boats. This particular site from the pics above was called Menjangan in NW Bali, Indonesia. Outstanding diving. All of the boats looked just like it (that would be the guide resting), and they moved rather slow (notice the outboard). But that's part of the deal, and it slows down the pace of life. It was only half hour to the site blazing along at 10 knots or so. :). I think they cost about USD 50 for a day for the boat, plus guide and tanks and driver, etc. Overall pretty cheap diving and a truly special place to dive. That is, if you like 40 meter vis and warm water.

Diving in Thailand can be done from a nice 40 foot speedboat with twin or triple 300 hp outboards for about usd100 per person for a 2 tank dive. Below is an example. I wasn't on this boat but the liveaboard I was on stopped at an island and this boat was parked there.

Or half that for local distances from a wooden longtail boat.View attachment 182427

Diving in the Philippines is really interesting - most places I've been dive from small wooden boats with pontoons. My wife learned to get into boat always by removing gear first and letting the crew pull it up. Costs usually around usd 30 a dive, including the guide and tank.

Removing gear is standard for the RIBs here too. Weights (belt and any integrated weights) off first, hand them up; BC and cylinder next; keep mask and fins on, pull yourself up into the boat while finning to give yourself a boost. A lot of people need a hand up to get back into the boat. I always used to end up flopped face first in the boat until I got the technique down. The one advantage is that all the divers here are well-practiced in removing their weights (at least at the surface).

Back
Top Bottom