Dive Buddies - Labor Day Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji:
My, my, you all have been busy little bees, haven't you? 3 days of diving scheduled - looks great!

To summarize,
Roland has organized Saturday diving in PV, 7:30AM
Stacy has organized Sunday diving in Corona del mar, 9:00AM
and James, I mean, Jim, has organized a Monday dive in Laguna, 7:30AM

Is this correct?

I'll try to make at least one, maybe two days..I want to see if Jim and Stacy look like their avatars.. I already know Roland does when he dons a battle-axe.

If anyone wants to see the ubiquitous white-tipped propellerfish or the elusive flying-jetski-marlin in Marina del rey, let me know and I can try to organize a local dive here...

Scott

Scott,
Just noticed your profile says you're from NY. Me too. Long Island. I assume you did your diving in the East River, right? :11:

mccabejc:
Scott,
Just noticed your profile says you're from NY. Me too. Long Island. I assume you did your diving in the East River, right? :11:

Jim,

Yeah, but you know, the funny thing about the east river, is that a lot of people who dive into the east river, don't come back out. So I tried to avoid being submerged in there, if you know what I mean.

scottfiji:
My, my, you all have been busy little bees, haven't you? 3 days of diving scheduled - looks great!

To summarize,
Roland has organized Saturday diving in PV, 7:30AM
Stacy has organized Sunday diving in Corona del mar, 9:00AM
and James, I mean, Jim, has organized a Monday dive in Laguna, 7:30AM

Is this correct?

I'll try to make at least one, maybe two days..I want to see if Jim and Stacy look like their avatars.. I already know Roland does when he dons a battle-axe.

If anyone wants to see the ubiquitous white-tipped propellerfish or the elusive flying-jetski-marlin in Marina del rey, let me know and I can try to organize a local dive here...

Scott

Hmm.. Can we tell which of the bunch doesn't do mornings? 2 at 7:30, 1 at 9:00 (and that's too early!!!). :wink:

Sorry, Scott, but I don't look like my avatar. That would be cool, though - easy for camoflage, although it might be a bit difficult to walk around.
Hm... Well, if you're trying to pick me out, look for the diver with gear that only sort of matches. Black, purple, and blue wetsuit, with a purple and yellow beanie type hood. Tank with purple mesh and green valve cover. Pink snorkle. It's a real fashion statement. :dazzler1:

saf_25:
Well, if you're trying to pick me out, look for the diver with gear that only sort of matches. Black, purple, and blue wetsuit, with a purple and yellow beanie type hood. Tank with purple mesh and green valve cover. Pink snorkle.
Only "sort of matches"? Which part doesn't match?

I should be able to do Sunday and Monday. I'll probably bring my wife and kids along on Sunday and make a beach day of it. It will be cool to put some faces with names from this board.

Jim, where are you thinking for Monday - Crescent or Shaw's?

Scot M:
Only "sort of matches"? Which part doesn't match?

I should be able to do Sunday and Monday. I'll probably bring my wife and kids along on Sunday and make a beach day of it. It will be cool to put some faces with names from this board.

Jim, where are you thinking for Monday - Crescent or Shaw's?

I also may make Sunday at Big Corona, though I'm not sure yet. Waiting to hear from another buddy. As far as Monday, the answer is yes: Crescent or Shaw's. They're right next door to each other, but I haven't dove Shaw's before, so unless there's someone coming who has, we'll do Crescent.

I've been to Shaw's, but not Crescent. Of course I didn't see much, as I was busy demonstrating my ability to not hurt myself underwater.

Diving Conditions for this weekend: Well the forecast is not great, particularly for South facing beaches. http://www.wetsand.com/swellwatch/report.asp?catid=295&tabid=350
Orange County 3 day Wave Height Forecast: http://cdip.ucsd.edu/models/forecast/fp_orc_000.gif
Los Angeles County 3 day Wave Height Forecast: http://cdip.ucsd.edu/models/forecast/fp_lac_000.gif
North Pacific WAM: http://www.diver.net/weather/all_npac_wam.shtml

MONDAY: Jim, I am in for Monday at 07:30 in Laguna. But where? In Laguna I have dove: Seal Rock, Dead Mans Reef, Crescent Bay, Shaw’s Cove, Fisherman’s Cove, Divers Cove, Main Beach, Cleo Street, Cress Street, Woods Cove, Treasure Island (Montage Resort). I am also open to new locations with someone who has dove them before.
Laguna Sea sports reports todays conditions as:
Date: 9/2/2004
Time: 8:00 AM
Surf: 2 ft to 4 ft
Surge: 3 ft to 5 ft
Visibility: 10 ft - 12 ft
Temperature: 70 Water 67 Air
Shaws Cove is a good dive, but it is often crowded as it is the principal instruction site in Orange County for SCUBA classes. At present our dive conditions are driven by tropical storms to the south. Tuesday night, the surge in Malibu was 3-5 feet and the swell was defiantly increasing by the end of the dive. So North facing or West facing Beaches are looking to provide the best diving this weekend. So Jim, you make the call. We have the date: Monday, Time 07:30 now where?

Saturday: Roland In the Redondo Beach, Palos Verde Area I have dove: Redondo Beach, Topaz Jettey, Malaga Cove, Haggerties, Flat Rock, Christmas Tree, Whites Point (boring) and Long Point (old Marne Land). Again, I am open to new sites here with someone who has dived them before. I would suggest we stay on the North side of the peninsula due to current and expected ocean conditions. That leaves us with Malaga Cove, Haggerties or Topaz Jetty. Topaz Jetty is a sand dive like Vets Park unless you hit the old pier. It is easy to miss, but now, thanks to unknown divers there is a line connecting the pilings so they are easier to find. Now we have a date: Saturday, Time 07:30 a.m. but Where?

Sunday: Hopefully I can make this too and we have the Date, Time 09:00 and the Place Big Corona. Just need to know were exactly to rendezvous with each other.

For now let's plan on Crescent for Monday. We can take a look when we get there, and maybe decide on Shaw's. It's all good. I'm hoping that being a Monday and Labor Day we'd be free of most of the dive classes. And maybe the "coveiness" of Crescent/Shaw's will protect us from from the southern swelliness. We can see how the storm progresses this weekend.

And I'm going to call the President and ask him to see if he can have his people make Hurricane Howard go somewhere else. So we should be good to go....

mccabejc:
Though I'd like to try Shaw's or some of the other Laguna spots is anyone is familiar with them. I'll probably leave my place around 6-6:30 and get to Laguna around 7-7:30, so even with two dives we should be back before noon.

Not to rain on your parade Jim, but good luck finding anything close to 1/2 mile from the beach if you plan on getting to Laguna at 7:30 on a holiday weekend! You might get lucky and find spots at the secret spot, but I doubt it. Things are usually full by 6:45 or earlier on a holiday. The last few Sundays I have been there at 6:30 and had to park at the top of the hill. All you dirt divers from the 909 get out here early in the summertime :wink:
And remeber also, classes are allowed between 7-10 and not before or after, but few follow that rule. But god forbid you forget your snorkle :kopfab:

jim/Scot :11: ....Is 6:30am on Monday possible for you?....I have heard the same thing from several people about the crowds. My buddy, who is a rescue/nitrox guy will join us. Let me know if you can get a earlier start!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom