Dive Buddies With Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM: The camera will always be a red flag. :) That just means I need to work out how attentive the other diver is _despite_ the camera. You pay close attention to your dive buddies, but if you didn't have the camera, would you pay even more? :)

Getting a good shot requires your attention. There is no doubt about it. And I agree with what Doug said post dive: The diver with the camera should be in the front.

I have to say though that in one way diving with a buddy who has a camera is essential. How else will I get pictures of myself underwater?! :D

Mo2vation:
If you want me to say it, I will without reservation: You are at greater risk diving with a diver who is shooting pictures than you are diving with a non photographing diver.
My turn to disagree with you, Ken. (I know, "..take a number.." :14: )

I've buddied with more than 60 different divers in 3 years of SoCal diving.
I often felt safer with the serious photographers because I could track them better.
I knew their primary goal was shooting pictures. As long as I paid attention, and tried to "see" the dive through their eyes, I could guess what kind of subjects they were looking for. I could look away and they were often right where I left them, their minds on the task at hand.

Most of my "suddenly solo" diving experiences were with non-photographers who had hared off after WhoKnowsWhat! And since I like rolling low and slow, this happened too often. Even buddies that I had done over 100 dives with would have erratic and unpredictable dives, lost in their own world, disconnected from any steadying goal such as photographing.

Nothing stays put like a dedicated photographer who cares about composition, precise focus, and best lighting. (Of course, I have been severely spoiled, thank you :D )

I'll agree that a buddy who's shooting intently is perhaps watching me less... depends on the situational awareness of the photographer. It takes more than free hands to make a good buddy. But I know, photogs may get target fixation and not look up for awhile.
That makes me more cautious to avoid entanglements or entrapments and stay within Glance-distance. If my gear fails, I'm likely to need to cover the entire distance to my buddy instead of being met half-way by someone who had noticed my predicament.

At greater risk just because my buddy is shooting? I don't think it's a rule.
I think it's the whole package of situational awareness that determines my buddy-related risk level. That's something any buddy should factor in when diving on a team.

'Dette

I have to admit I see a lot more doing photos than just taking an airplane ride. I'm seeing that photogs may not be a 100% focused on the buddy but at least you will know where to find them. I get lost when trying to get a pic of a nudibranch. It's when you are searching for a shot that the separation happens. It's nice to see how many fellow divers are into underwater pics. I think we are all facing the same chellenges that are compounded when both have cameras.

uspap:
I have to admit I see a lot more doing photos than just taking an airplane ride.
Exactly!! You've captured one of the differences that makes photography dives,(with a superb buddy,) amongst my favorites.
uspap:
I think we are all facing the same challenges that are compounded when both have cameras.
Oh so true! My team would face a severe challenge were I to start slinging a camera. We are successful now in part because Mo2vation task-loads like a mad-man and just gets more focused and aware the more he has to do. That's not one of the assets I bring to the team. Each person's strengths are complimentary, not identical.

I have no desire to learn to shoot.
If it were to become a goal, I would have to limit my other tasks for quite a while so I could learn safely. It would need to be a team project.

I want to do other stuff instead.
Photography dives RULE!

'Dette

HBDiveGirl:
I'll agree that a buddy who's shooting intently is perhaps watching me less... depends on the situational awareness of the photographer. It takes more than free hands to make a good buddy. But I know, photogs may get target fixation and not look up for awhile.
That makes me more cautious to avoid entanglements or entrapments and stay within Glance-distance. If my gear fails, I'm likely to need to cover the entire distance to my buddy instead of being met half-way by someone who had noticed my predicament.

A non-photographer who understands diving with a photographer. I love it! I'm fortunate enough to have some regular non-photographer buddies who understand what it is to dive with a photographer. They know the procedures and protocols we've set forth well before the dive. They know where to be to be unobtrusive in my shot and know when I want them in the shot, and how to pose for a shot. They know the leisurely pace that we usually take.

One thing to note, which you bring up, is buddy awareness does not necessarily mean watching your buddy all the time. When I'm composing a shot, of course I'm not always looking at my buddy (I am when I am shooting a pic of my buddy), but I am aware of where my buddy is. Not much different than diving without a camera. On a non-photo dive, I'm not looking at my buddy all the time, but that doesn't mean I'm not aware of my buddy. If I poke into a hole in the wall with my light and spend a few seconds looking in, it's no different than spending a few seconds composing and taking a shot. Same difference.

My buddy had a camera first and I really enjoyed spotting for him. I had no desire to take pics myself. He loaned me his spare camera one day and I was hooked. There is nothing like getting home, having a cold one, download the pics and realizing you nailed it.

The problem we seem to be having is when I get involved in a shot and he does too we can be out of contact for a while. We have discussed being more disciplined about communication and buddy awareness. It seems to go out the window when you come across the perfect shot. We are not reckless, are both very familiar with the dive site and are capable divers. The worst is when he's shooting wide angle and I'm doing macro.

uspap:
My buddy had a camera first and I really enjoyed spotting for him. I had no desire to take pics myself. He loaned me his spare camera one day and I was hooked. There is nothing like getting home, having a cold one, downloading the pics and realizing you nailed it.
:music: ....la-lala..... notListeningNOTlistening.....

uspap:
The worst is when he's shooting wide angle and I'm doing macro.
I'll have to remember that... oh, wait... I'm not listening....:D

We make horrible buddies, just ask me. That's why I dive solo most of the time and always carry my real buddy (pony bottle) whether I've got a human buddy or not. Even my very best buddies (who are photographers and instructors) and I focus on our own imaging... but get to share the joy of the dive top side!

Claudette, don't worry -- Some people have the camera bug in latent form, and others of us pick up a camera and can still put it down. Personally, I would STILL rather dive WITH a photographer and point out what I want him to take pictures of, than carry a camera myself. First off, I get better pictures that way, and second, I enjoy my own dive more.

Man, the more I listen to other divers and read their posts, the more I appreciate my regular dive buddies!
It's apparent that we've come to adjust to each other's styles and habits. For example, when I carry my video camera, my partner(s) might carry a "point and shoot" camera, but they refrain from using their full rigs (strobes and all). When they want to pack their "serious heat", I might carry my "tourist" rig (small photo camera). I have to brag on myh partners. They do a great job of "watching my back" when I'm concentrating on photos or video. I try to do the same when they're the ones shooting. Does that mean I ignore my partners (or the other way around) when I have the camera? Of course not. But it's nice having buddies that will watch me and follow when I'm trailing that shark or jelly and, if necessary, tap my shoulder and let me know if I'm straying too far from the down line or group (if we're in one). They might also alert me when I'm getting deeper than the dive plan or some such. While I make every effort not to commit these "sins", it's comforting to have partners that assist and seem to enjoy it, knowing that their turns will come and I'll do the same for them. It's all about communication and, sometimes, compromise.

Back
Top Bottom