Dive Buddy for Sunday 4/10- La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

California Diver:
me and paul were planning on two dives, one long one and one with the left over gas we'll have, Terry what time were you planning on diving? is Sean diving? Roy what time can you dive?

So everyone is going to the shores? :wacko: Just wondering, but why does everyone prefer the shores over the cove?

The cove can be a nice dive, but the swells make the vis bad during winter/big swells. I dove the La Jolla Cove many times last summer and enjoyed it. I even did several lobster dives right next to the cove into the Fall. I recently dove a site called Anchor Rock which was about 1/2-3/4 of a mile off the cove and it was amazing! We saw a Giant Sea Bass swimming by. I really enjoy the structure out there. The cove is nice, I'm just waiting for good conditions to dive it.

The shores has extensive structure with areas for the fish to live in. it has several "walls" at different depths to check out stuff. They have 4 different walls: Way North Wall, North Wall, East Wall, and the South Wall. They have fields of sand dollars, large sandy areas the rays, pipefish, moon snails, lizardfish, and crabs love to play in. Sometimes you can even see bat rays (haven't seen too many) They have very large sheephead and an assortment of rockfish which are very cool to look at. It's really a great dive to use your light to check out the small stuff in the holes and in the sand. The more you dive it the more you appriciate the amazing ecosystem you get to visit. At night it can be WILD! The geography has a natural upward progression so if you plan your gas consumption right you can exit in 5 feet of water and 45+ minutes of bottom time and you hit 100 feet max depth... You should check it out sometime. You'll become a much better diver than you would at the cove since you have so much more variety in terms of diving at the La Jolla Shores. It is a diver's training ground! Hope to see you there!

divebuddysean:
The cove can be a nice dive, but the swells make the vis bad during winter/big swells. I dove the La Jolla Cove many times last summer and enjoyed it. I even did several lobster dives right next to the cove into the Fall. I recently dove a site called Anchor Rock which was about 1/2-3/4 of a mile off the cove and it was amazing! We saw a Giant Sea Bass swimming by. I really enjoy the structure out there. The cove is nice, I'm just waiting for good conditions to dive it.

The shores has extensive structure with areas for the fish to live in. it has several "walls" at different depths to check out stuff. They have 4 different walls: Way North Wall, North Wall, East Wall, and the South Wall. They have fields of sand dollars, large sandy areas the rays, pipefish, moon snails, lizardfish, and crabs love to play in. Sometimes you can even see bat rays (haven't seen too many) They have very large sheephead and an assortment of rockfish which are very cool to look at. It's really a great dive to use your light to check out the small stuff in the holes and in the sand. The more you dive it the more you appriciate the amazing ecosystem you get to visit. At night it can be WILD! The geography has a natural upward progression so if you plan your gas consumption right you can exit in 5 feet of water and 45+ minutes of bottom time and you hit 100 feet max depth... You should check it out sometime. You'll become a much better diver than you would at the cove since you have so much more variety in terms of diving at the La Jolla Shores. It is a diver's training ground! Hope to see you there!

This place sounds great is anyone diving today?

conditions are reported as bad today, diving tommorow.

California Diver:
conditions are reported as bad today, diving tommorow.

Apparently there is something going on with the water, they wouldn't even rent me a scooter. Looks like no diving this weekend.

Gonna head down there anyway tomorrow morning. If the ocean won't let us dive, we'll have breakfast instead!!

It's all good and at least I didnt drive all the way to Malibu to not dive.

Terry

divebuddysean:
wow 48 degrees at 30 feet? You must have been screeming underwater Scott!

I hope tomorrow is better for the wrinkles crew!

oh, I didn't go, I just got reports from the field via phone. When I walked on the beach Friday near my place the water looked pretty brown.

I can handle 48 degrees for 1 quick dive without screaming, though!

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom