Dive Buddy for Sunday 4/10- La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebuddysean:
The cove can be a nice dive, but the swells make the vis bad during winter/big swells. I dove the La Jolla Cove many times last summer and enjoyed it. I even did several lobster dives right next to the cove into the Fall.
If La Jolla Cove isn't the bee's knees these days, is there anywhere near there that would be a better bet for shallow stuff to look at snorkeling? I'll be in La Jolla Monday-Wednesday, and if conditions settle down between now and then I'm trying to swing a boat two-tanker Tuesday morning. If that's not a go, snorkeling with my son may be the plan -- if there's anywhere good to try it.

divebuddysean:
The shores has extensive structure with areas for the fish to live in. it has several "walls" at different depths to check out stuff. They have 4 different walls: Way North Wall, North Wall, East Wall, and the South Wall. They have fields of sand dollars, large sandy areas the rays, pipefish, moon snails, lizardfish, and crabs love to play in. Sometimes you can even see bat rays (haven't seen too many) The more you dive it the more you appriciate the amazing ecosystem you get to visit. At night it can be WILD! You should check it out sometime. You'll become a much better diver than you would at the cove since you have so much more variety in terms of diving at the La Jolla Shores.

I've dove the shores a few times, including night dives, but haven't been that impressed... Seen the rays/fish/crabs/etc, but I've also seen most of the same thing at the cove. Maybe I just need to dive the shores more to better appreciate it...? lol

scottfiji:
zero vis reported in malibu today from the wrinkles dive, probably stuff in the water brought up from the upwelling (same reason the water was 52degrees at the surface, 48 degrees at 30ft)

Shaw's Cove was fairly calm last night (between 3 and 7pm), but the water was noticably colder than normal at 52F. Vis at 5:30pm was less than 5 ft.
Planned to dive the canyon at Redondo today, but the flags were up for no swimming/no diving- the swells were 5-6 ft.. Mini tidal waves- they were rough, the sets were coming in close together, breaking hard and fast.. Ugh!

Missy, my buddies and I have enjoyed the shores for dozens and dozens of dives! We have dove every wall repeatedly both night and day. We love to take pictures and observe the abundant sea life which is unique to the canyon habitat. My last day of diving I saw a Mantis Shrimp on the North Wall peninsula. I'd never limit myself to one dive site, but I dive there the Shores a lot!

Maybe you can tell us about a dive site you really enjoy?

So exactly when is a good time to dive La Jolla Cove? All of my SoCal diving has been on Catalina or the northern Channel Islands, but I've been getting more and more interested in trying La Jolla as well. I realize I'm not going to get vis levels like I do at Catalina, but is 15-20 feet a realistic expectation? If so, is there a website or phone # to call that reports the vis there? I'd like to have a fairly good shot at decent conditions before driving to San Diego from where I live in central O.C.

missy it sounds to me like you havent seen the "cool" spots at the shores, theres more than a downslope of sand, you just have to know where to go for the good stuff.

Reeveseye:
So exactly when is a good time to dive La Jolla Cove? All of my SoCal diving has been on Catalina or the northern Channel Islands, but I've been getting more and more interested in trying La Jolla as well. I realize I'm not going to get vis levels like I do at Catalina, but is 15-20 feet a realistic expectation? If so, is there a website or phone # to call that reports the vis there? I'd like to have a fairly good shot at decent conditions before driving to San Diego from where I live in central O.C.

During decent confitions 15-20 is reasonable. On this link, check out way in the background the waves rolling into Boomers... Once those waves are really small the cove clears up and it's a much better dive. With large waves I would consider it dangerous as well since it has a rocky bottom. I will definitely post when conditions are good.

http://www.camzone.com/

Sean

I want to go diving so bad tonight but I never night dived with out a strobe.I lost mine in a move. I do have a Niterider HID dive light pro and a backup handheld light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom