Dive Computer or Tables and console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am preparing to start my journey into SCUBA and have not yet experienced my first dive. I am striving to achieve at least an AOW certification. I was wondering, given their praise, should I invest in a computer or stick to the basics of dive tables and console? I understand the benefits and flexibility of a computer offers, but which do you think would make me a better diver? Please keep in mind that I would like you recommendations to consider that I am asking which device I should start out with. I look forward to your suggestions.

If you are just going to the AOW level then I guess a dive computer will eventually make its way on to your shopping list. If you get bitten by the bug and strive for more technical diving, then you will be diving in situations where your regular dive computer won't be able to cope. If intend to dive Nitrox, then make sure you dive computer can handle that. I have bought all the dive computers I am ever going to buy and now look forward to bottom timers only once I have passed the stage of diving with computers. :) They are useful for logging your dives :wink:

You could always buy a Nitrox compatible computer that has a gauge mode. Use the computer now and just put it in gauge mode when you've 'moved past' the computer stage.

I happen to like diving with a computer but I don't like to rely on it.

-- Matt

i would hold off on buying a computer just yet.

first, i would learn the tables and how to dive with them, so that later you can
use them easily as a back-up to your computer.

also, i would also think about the type of diving you want to be doing in a few years, and
the type of computer you want (for example, wrist v. console, air-integrated v. no
air-integrated) and so on, so that when you make a decision to buy a specific computer, it will be an educated one.

also, diving the tables will result in more conservative dive times, and you can't
beat that extra margin of safety when you are first starting out.

and by the way, welcome to diving. it's the best thing you can do with a wetsuit on!

I would mostly echo what Andy said. Just get a bottom timer/depth gauge type of device. Learn the proper use of tables, gauges and possibly dive software. Skip the computer and spend the same amount of money on getting better equipment overall.

I would suggest a Suunto D3 operated in guage mode. It has a bottom timer and depth gauge, is about the size of a large watch, and you can upload it to your PC to check your dive profile and log your dives. The D3, without the interface to upload to your PC, is about $225 street priced, so it is less expensive than computers but does all you will ever need. You can find a link here on this forum to get the interface for about $60 with shipping.

If you are looking for a backup device, you can also get an Uwatec/OMS digital gauge for about $125 or so. This you cannot upload to a PC. Simple, cheap and does the trick.

These two would be a nice balance between price and features.

StrikeEagle29:
I am preparing to start my journey into SCUBA and have not yet experienced my first dive. I am striving to achieve at least an AOW certification. I was wondering, given their praise, should I invest in a computer or stick to the basics of dive tables and console? I understand the benefits and flexibility of a computer offers, but which do you think would make me a better diver? Please keep in mind that I would like you recommendations to consider that I am asking which device I should start out with. I look forward to your suggestions.

You need to understand how the tables work for a couple reasons
1) You may need to use them as a backup to when your computer is down and 2) so that you can judge "Is my computer telling me something reasonable?" If someday your computer says you can stay at 90 feet for an hour you want an alarm to go off in your head that says "This can't be right."

But realistically you will need a computer. The tables assume a "square" dive profile which is not what you might dive. Many times I'll go to 60 or so feet then come up to 35 or so for the last 20 or so minutes. Or like last night, we swam up from 60 feet to 10 feet along a slopping bottom over a period of about 20 minutes. That's just to hard to figure using a table. The computer is just more acurate and doesn't forget little details like you might if diving many times over a two day trip.

Lastly some resort locations require you to have a computer

One more argument. Because on a multilevel dive a computer can give you more time then the tables can your buddy will want you to use a computer so that your use of tables does not limit his time. And then if you are at a $1,200 per week resort you will want the computer to maximize your time underwater.

OK, Bottom line: In my opinion you will need a computer but need to fully understand tables so you are not just some dummy watching a number on a display

Strongly agree with Andy. Learn the tables and dive them. That is your basic core. Computers fail, tables don't. The computer is a cool toy and when it works it's great. Many dive operators will insist that you dive a computer on their boats. If you don't have one, you will have to rent one. I dive a computer and my husband does not..many will disagree with this, but he rides my computer. Which is why he is getting his own computer.. Merry Xmas Baby!, lol.

Ok Pug...suppose you are in Cozumel..diving with XYZ...they are on a schedule...before you can even get on the boat you have to do the computer thing...just curious...but what would YOU do? :)

I suppose if I were to go to someplace like Cozumel I would go along to get along and not spend more time in the water than allowed by the boat schedule.

My buddy and I worked it out on a dive trip this May in Barkley Sound B.C. We were always the first in as soon as the gate opened and last out after everyone else had ungeared and the boat was ready to go. That way we were able to do 70 minute dives while the rest of the group did 45~50 minute dives.

If they only let computer divers onboard (I'm sneaky... the depth gauge/bottom timer I use looks just like an expensive dive computer) I would just nod and hold my wrist up. :D

Back
Top Bottom