dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jazz once bubbled...
Hi All,

I am just wondering if any of your change your own battery for the Suunto Mosquito? Is it difficult or is it better to bring it back to the shop.

Jazz
It's not hard. Make sure the area is clean so you don't get anything in between the O-ring and the case. I found that a U.S. Quarter fit the slot in the cover perfectly. The advice that I got before changing the battery for the first time was to be very[ careful about the O-ring. It's apparently quite thin and can easily be "pinched" if it's not seated evenly when you put the cover back on.
The instructions indicate that a battery kit from Suunto comes with a complete cover with O-ring and the current one is discared along with the spent battery. I figure that I'll get the kit every 3rd or 4th battery change just to be safe even if the O-ring looks fine.

-Rob

Sunday we dove with a Suunto Vyper. That computer is great. One thing that impressed me is the information available at one glance. Everything was very ledgible. It displayed the elapsed dive time, the depth, the water temp and I am forgetting something but anyway, all at the same time. You could easily press a button and change the display to get additional information. I loved being able to read the display in very low vis without difficulty in understanding what I was seeing. R

My buddy and I both use Vypers and we both love them. As Raven said they display so much information at a glance and are very easy to understand. Another plus to them is that the alarms on them are quite loud and can be heard easily under the water. Mine went off at one point on a dive and a quick glance told me it was because I had hit my NDL and now needed to do a safety stop for six minutes.

I love my Vyper and wouldn't change it for anything.
Raven I don't know if this will help you at all but I got my Vyper for about £200 which I think is about $300, seeing as you don't pay the VAT it may be worth looking into some places in Britain to buy one.

You folks are great however now I have lots of good advise and great options and will have to just to decide.
Thanks for all your input!
I'm going diving Key Largo Thanksgiving as a family for the first time and I am looking forward to using a new computer.

I also dive with the Suunto Mosquito and I'm quite please with it for all the positive reasons mentioned above.

In contrast to what was mentioned, don't need to change the wrist band while wearing a 7mm semi dry wet suit. The regular band is large enough for my not so girly sized wrists. (I'm 178cm / 5 10 with a medium frame). However, things could be differnt for a huge rugby player.

I've changed my own battery after 1.5 years and aside from being careful about the o-ring it wasn't different from changing a battery on any other watch.

Suunto offers other models that are simular in function, but slightly differnt in styling and options. See the following link for more details.

http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/suunto2.pubmainpage.frameset. The right brand and model for you depends on your requirements, taste and budget really.

Overall I think the Suunto Mosqito a good basic dive computer that's small and easy to use. I'd recommed it for recreational divers.

Happy shopping

Sylvie

Mr. Lucky and I just purchased a couple of Air Z Nitrox computers made by Aladin. They are very very cool. Liked them a lot and had no trouble using them. They are hoseless... also cool.
Lucky

I've been diving for 12 yrs & just got a computer (my dive buddy dove for 16 yrs before getting his computer), but now that I have it I love it - mostly for all the extra bottom time it gives me. But it is hard to get used to after so many years on tables.

I think the discpline & the caution you learn diving from tables is really valuable & would spend more time doing that before relying on a computer. That said, if you go on a dive vacation where you're planning to do a lot of diving it is definitely worth it to buy (or rent) a computer for the trip. This is based on hindsight on my part - all those years w/out one.

My vote - spend the money on diving right now!

My buddie and I have been diving for a few years and use a Mosquito and Vyper respectively. We're both really pleased with them and they are now invaluable - but you're right about knowing - and remembering - how to use the tables.

One point of note, we justy came back from the Caymans and one of the schools we were diving with insited that those using tables should surface after a say 30 minutes bottom time, but those on computes could - sticking within the limits of your computer - spend 5 or 10 minutes extra underwater. Where you've got strict schools with time limits like that, its nice to have a little extra time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom