Dive Computers & Linux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was about to start working on this in linux, but I see you got it working. I'm glad you posted to the Mac OSX thread.

I'm also in the same boat as you... I have a Vyper and a Cobra and a G5, but I only have a serial cable. I had a USB cable, but the contact posts to the dive computer kept breaking.

wysmar:
... I have a Vyper and a Cobra and a G5, but I only have a serial cable. I had a USB cable, but the contact posts to the dive computer kept breaking.

I intend to get the usb/serial adapter as I have a laptop I'd prefer to put jdivelog on, and it doesn't have a serial port. Also, my Zaurus has a usb host port, so using that might be easier than the serial dongle for that unit (could be WAY off on that one).

I kinda wish development on gdivelog was a bit faster, since he's planning on using C with a GTK frontend. This will be faster, and relatively OS agnostic.

Just for what it's worth - I tried Oceanic Oceanlog software on my Suse 10.2 box w/ CrossOver Office and it seemed to work perfectly. My computer hasn't arrived yet, so I will update later with success/failure of download. Even printing works perfect.

What a great thread! This is something you don't see in the mainstream dive community or the mainstream Unix community either.

Now if we can just get our actual dive computer to run Linux.

Maybe that way we could add a few games to play or a C compiler to use while we're on DECO Stop. !!!!

I know plenty of developers who code while narc'd - why not do it underwater as well?

@undefined: It's good to know that wine will run the oceanic software, as I haven't seen any alternatives for those computers.

@mike_s: There's a thread somewhere in the archives in the DIY section about building a computer based on *nix. If the device had bluetooth, you could play TuxCart with your buddies during deco...

Nice to see a few Linux people here. Im still in the process of building my transfer cable, but I was planning on trying to get SDM2 working under Wine.

BTW, Im running Ubuntu 6.1....

split0101:
Nice to see a few Linux people here. Im still in the process of building my transfer cable, but I was planning on trying to get SDM2 working under Wine.

BTW, Im running Ubuntu 6.1....

Have you got experience troubleshooting Wine? I've tried installing SDM using cedega, crossover, and winex, and I've gotten close as I've mentioned before. Installation usually goes OK, but the problem I'm running into is SDM seems to be having problems connecting to its database.

In the end, though, I'm much more hopeful for an open-source solution as the developers are more likely than Suunto to include the features/changes we'd like to see. jdivelog is STILL fresh, and while I'm not a big fan of java, it allows for a unified client on any platform with a jvm+swing.

I run Gentoo here at home on most of my machines (Zaurus runs OpenZaurus [Debian-based, I believe]), but plan to put Ubuntu on one of my laptops, since I'd rather not spend the week necessary to install Gentoo from Stage 1.

SDM installed without a hitch with Crossover Office on Suse 10.2. I can login and mess around, but since I do not have a Suunto computer I'm pretty limited in my options for testing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom