Really confused about computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Suunto Vyper Nova seem like a great computer, and I can add air tracking later.

It's really hard to beat its feature set/price, but you won't find many Suunto lovers on ScubaBoard. Ask the guy who hated his: if he parts with it for $200-250, that's your best bet.

It's really hard to beat its feature set/price, but you won't find many Suunto lovers on ScubaBoard. Ask the guy who hated his: if he parts with it for $200-250, that's your best bet.

That’s exactly why I bought one as my first dive computer. And no, I wouldn’t recommend it. The air integration is spotty at best, even when following the manual to the T, it has issues connecting to the transmitter.

Ok final thoughts on this. First, thank you guys so much for the friendly feedback and education you brought to this discussion. I have learned so much. I honestly came into this thinking oh its time to upgrade my apple watch I will just get the ultra and boom done have my dive computer. But my goal has always been to be a diver. Explore as much of the water as I can, its been my dream and I put it off and then the years shot by. Now as I am 10 or so years away from my retirement dream I need to make up for lost time. So I decided I will get the shearwater perdix 2 and be set for a very long time.

So I decided I will get the shearwater perdix 2 and be set for a very long time.
You won't be disappointed. You'll be a better and more informed diver now that you have your own DC that you can truly be accustomed to. Welcome to the deep, dark hole that is diving and buying your own gear. Set aside room to grow a tank farm.

You won't be disappointed. You'll be a better and more informed diver now that you have your own DC that you can truly be accustomed to. Welcome to the deep, dark hole that is diving and buying your own gear. Set aside room to grow a tank farm.
Funny I was just thinking I really need to get a tank but I think I can fit 5 or 6 tanks in my closet lol

Funny I was just thinking I really need to get a tank but I think I can fit 5 or 6 tanks in my closet lol
I started with 3 tanks my parents used in the 70s. I've sold 1, 2 are old taboo AL 80s and stay on the bottom of my shelf. I now have added 1 more AL 80, 1 HP 50, 2 HP 80s, 2 HP 100s, 1 HP 119, and my pony. I need 1 more 119 but haven't found one in my price range yet.

I’d suggest getting 2 tanks. And depending on what you want, there’s an active used market among Midwest divers. I can recommend a good Midwest used gear sales group on Facebook if you’re on there. And to be frank, a lot of divers use FB to arrange dives.

I’d suggest getting 2 tanks. And depending on what you want, there’s an active used market among Midwest divers. I can recommend a good Midwest used gear sales group on Facebook if you’re on there. And to be frank, a lot of divers use FB to arrange dives.

Thanks so much for that info I will find the group. I did find 2 tanks for sale from a city over from me, and she appears to wave weights as well. I am just waiting to get pics of the dates on the thank but I will find that used gear group. I thought I had found all the midwest groups but must have missed a few

Thanks so much for that info I will find the group. I did find 2 tanks for sale from a city over from me, and she appears to wave weights as well. I am just waiting to get pics of the dates on the thank but I will find that used gear group. I thought I had found all the midwest groups but must have missed a few
Scuba Midwest Gear and Services is the one I really like.

Ok final thoughts on this. First, thank you guys so much for the friendly feedback and education you brought to this discussion. I have learned so much. I honestly came into this thinking oh its time to upgrade my apple watch I will just get the ultra and boom done have my dive computer. But my goal has always been to be a diver. Explore as much of the water as I can, its been my dream and I put it off and then the years shot by. Now as I am 10 or so years away from my retirement dream I need to make up for lost time. So I decided I will get the shearwater perdix 2 and be set for a very long time.
Should be a great choice! It might be worth trying one out in person if you can manage it - mainly to compare how the compass displays on the Perdix vs the Teric. The Teric allows you to have it displayed on screen at all times and mark headings, whereas the Perdix needs a dedicated spot on the display. Definitely not a big deal for most, but given you're dropping a bunch of cash you might want to see which you prefer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom