Dive Computers & Linux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undefined:
SDM installed without a hitch with Crossover Office on Suse 10.2. I can login and mess around, but since I do not have a Suunto computer I'm pretty limited in my options for testing.

Which version of CO are you using?

undrwater:
I run Gentoo here at home on most of my machines (Zaurus runs OpenZaurus [Debian-based, I believe]), but plan to put Ubuntu on one of my laptops, since I'd rather not spend the week necessary to install Gentoo from Stage 1.
Ouch Gentoo Stage 1, yeah been there done that on some old hardware, took close to a week of constant compiling. For my servers I use Debian, and for my desktop I use Ubuntu.

I should be done by the end of next week. I just have to find the time to finish putting the thing together. Once I confirm the cable works on a Windows box, Im going to start messing around with all the software in Linux.

My DC is a Suunto Vytec so it will be interesting to see how this works out.

If someone can send me a sample database (or their personal one, doesn't matter to me) I will test if it is able to connect/open it within SDM.

undefined:
Crossover Office v5.0.0
Hrmm I tried installing it under 6.0, and get errors when I try to run it. What version of the SDM software did you install?

Good question. I was assuming version 2.x...although I've tried all the ones available on the website, and run into the same problem.

undefined brought up a good point in that it would be nice that if we are going to run SDM on wine, we should try and get it to run on pure wine, rather than CO or cedega. This keeps the cost down. I'm going to try and remove all traces of wine and wine related products from my machine, and start over from scratch.

MORE GOOD NEWS

There's a new dive log project started called FrogFace, that is intended to run primarily on Linux, but will also work on Windows and Mac with a download of the QT framework. The lead developer answered questions I had in their forums in a very detailed way, so I encourage you to take a look.

UPDATE: 11/04/2004

The following is an updated replay of the original post which I will copy to the Mods in order to update the first post.

I've seen some minor posts asking about alternatives (to Windows) for downloading profiles from dive computers. I only use Linux at home, and I'd like to be able to download my profile to my Linux computer (including my handheld one).

This is how I envision this post:
I'll post what I've tried, what works, and what doesn't (at least in my world ) You post your experiences, and I'll update the original post (this one), so that anyone looking can find the info easily. If this is redundant (ie; someone knows of a source of comprehensive dive computer with linux info), please also let me and others know. I know there are sites with bits and pieces of info for different computers, and we can cull them here as well.

I'll start with my experience with the Mosquito:

Suunto Mosquito (and possibly Vyper, Stinger, et al)

mosquitotools
This is for developer interest only. There is no end-user reason to use this package.

gdivelog
UPDATE: This project is now dead. The new project by this deveoper (and GUE trained diver) is called diversity. There is no download as of this writing. The following is the writeup for gdivelog:
I was able to compile and install. It successfully downloaded my computer profiles, but looks to be about as buggy as SDM. On the main dive profile itself (the chart), the depths show accurately, however if you pick a specific point on the dive, the depth is tripled. "Oopses" are not displayed as they are in SDM. It appears as if development is dead for this project.

jdivelog
jdivelog is now on the 2.5 version of their software which was updated in June of 2007. The newer versions allow both of the temperature readings from the suunto to be included into the profile, plus some other additions including PRINTING!!

jdivelog, as its name suggests, is a divelog written in java. I'm not a big fan of java, but the screenies looked nice, so I thought I'd give it a try. Everything compiled fine, and it does look good...lots of options for data input, equipment tracking, photos and such. I was able to get the correct comm.jar file from a link provided by the jdivelog website.

frogface
Here's their ad: "Frogface is a scuba dive log with a difference - to give you more than just a dive logger! Our initial goal is to produce a dive log which is easy to use and fun to play with but once we've achieved that we will look provide a platform on which to build lots of features, nice features."

Not much there for the end user at this moment unless you feel comfortable compiling source code. I don't believe there is any integration with dive computers yet, but I haven't compiled the latest code, so YMMV.

That's all I've got for now. Oh! The above (excluding mosquitotools and frogface) should work with computers besides Suunto. IIRC UWATEC and Sensus will also work with the above.

IMPORTANT!: Currently none of the above except jdivelog have the option to print, although a screen capture is possible.

Is this helpful?

Update 24/7/2010:

I hope to revive this thread because it appears to be the best source of info on this topic I found so far.

Frogface has seen its last update 3 years ago according to sourceforge (http://frogface.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/frogface/).

The Diversity (http://diversity.sourceforge.net/) home page also hasn't been updated since 20 May 2007.
There has been no activity on the forums or the SVN repo either since late 2007.

Jdivelog 2.13 (http://www.jdivelog.org/) was released in August 2009.

Just for completeness:
Dive tools for Linux (http://freshmeat.net/projects/divetools/) is available on Freshmeat but this project hasn't been updated since 2003.

Does this mean there is no actively maintained dive computer software for linux?

Please reply and share what you are using on Linux nowadays.

Unfortunately I had to remove the links because this is my first post.

Last edited:
JtB Dive LogBook on sourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtbdivelogbook/):
- Java based
- alpha (last update 23/7/2010)
- comes without instructions
- application starts but interface is "buggy" (need to doubleclick to select item in list, unable to enter path to configuration dir, either by typing or by using the browse button), after going back and selecting dir again the application starts but throws a FileNotfoundException
Code:
Exception: java.io.FileNotFoundException
Message: /home/m8ram/.jtb/logbook/config/settings.xml (No such file or directory)
 gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl.open(libgcj.so.10)
 gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl.<init>(libgcj.so.10)
 gnu.java.nio.channels.FileChannelImpl.create(libgcj.so.10)
 java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(libgcj.so.10)
 java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(libgcj.so.10)
 be.vds.jtbdive.client.config.ConfigurationHandler.persistConfiguration(ConfigurationHandler.java:26)
 be.vds.jtbdive.client.launch.Launcher.initConfiguration(Launcher.java:182)
 be.vds.jtbdive.client.launch.Launcher.initialize(Launcher.java:87)
 be.vds.jtbdive.client.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:48)
then the user interface starts "initializing the user interface"

Last edited:
Dive Log Book on sourceForge:
- 1.6.1 released on 20/7/2010
- start.sh does not run on Linux (Fedora 13) because the file has ^M line endings (bash: ./start.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory)
- running the java command results in java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Width and height of scaled bitmapmust be >= 0

Back
Top Bottom