Dive computers... SO many choices!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree on the part about it being easy to understand..... I think I would be fielding tons of calls and emails asking for more explanation, help me, why couldn't we make it easier, etc. lol

I don't think all rec divers are morons, I just think its excessive overkill for a $140 single gas computer to have over 1000 possible conservatism settings... :wink:

I could have it do trimix, and be multi-gas too, but that isn't exactly the intention with this model.

I think that you should have 3 - 4 settings: 0 - 4 and provide a table (in the product manual) showing the GF's for each setting and that should be all for this low priced entry level computer.

I also think it is a good idea to match your 3 GF presets to those of the Shearwater in Rec mode.

I disagree on the part about it being easy to understand..... I think I would be fielding tons of calls and emails asking for more explanation, help me, why couldn't we make it easier, etc. lol

I don't think all rec divers are morons, I just think its excessive overkill for a $140 single gas computer to have over 1000 possible conservatism settings... :wink:

I could have it do trimix, and be multi-gas too, but that isn't exactly the intention with this model.

I write software for a living. Believe me! I know what you mean about getting calls asking for explanations.

But, I was at a local scuba meetup last week. There were something like 10 other divers there. I got everyone's attention for a couple of minutes to ask some questions, just because I was curious. I first confirmed that everyone there dives with a computer (versus using tables). One question I asked was "have any of you ever changed the conservatism setting on the computer you were using?" Not a single person there had ever done that.

So, I suspect your computer won't generate much difference in phone calls between having only presets and having presets plus a custom option - because I doubt hardly anyone will ever mess with that stuff at all. I'd guess the VAST majority of your users will leave it set to the default conservatism and never even look at that. Especially if you ship it set to the most liberal setting. If you ship it set to something more conservative, then you probably WILL be getting calls from people who find out that they could make it more liberal and want to know how.

... One question I asked was "have any of you ever changed the conservatism setting on the computer you were using?" Not a single person there had ever done that.

So, I suspect your computer won't generate much difference in phone calls between having only presets and having presets plus a custom option - because I doubt hardly anyone will ever mess with that stuff at all.

But by the same logic programming in the custom GF option is a waste of time and effort. Because we know of only two divers who might want to set it to 99/99 and I suspect you yourself might settle for 95/95 on rec dives. So it's only one really, everybody else will just leave it default safety factor, or at most: set it SF0 if the default isn't that.

The most aggressive I can get on a Perdix is 90/90. You have to have a GF low below 50 to have a GF high above 90.If anyone knows how to make it 99/99 let me know please.

The fully adjustable thing is a myth along with the 'open source' GF.

But by the same logic programming in the custom GF option is a waste of time and effort. Because we know of only two divers who might want to set it to 99/99 and I suspect you yourself might settle for 95/95 on rec dives. So it's only one really, everybody else will just leave it default safety factor, or at most: set it SF0 if the default isn't that.

In which case, why give any options at all? Set it for the most liberal and give no option to change it?

I'm just saying if there's a reason to give them options, then why not go ahead and give them the Custom option, as ls1dreams (I think) was asking for. Landon was saying that it was too dangerous and/or too complicated. I think it could easily be safe enough, and the very few people who will ever see it are probably people that could understand it well enough (given they have examples to look at in the presets, and a manual that explains it).

I don't anticipate ever buying another recreational computer, so it definitely doesn't matter to me.

The most aggressive I can get on a Perdix is 90/90. You have to have a GF low below 50 to have a GF high above 90.If anyone knows how to make it 99/99 let me know please.

The fully adjustable thing is a myth along with the 'open source' GF.

If you read this post that I tagged you in before, you will see that the ability to set a Perdix to GF 99/99 is coming in the next firmware release.

Shearwater Perdix AI oddities: GF settings and dive planning

I don't anticipate ever buying another recreational computer, so it definitely doesn't matter to me.

Right, and Craig's already happy with his One True Algorithm(tm)eanic so he's not buying either. So who is the target demo for that custom setting exactly?

ps. The same post also makes it clear that only GF Hi controls the NDL, so, for recreational diving (i.e. this thread), you can already set it to GF 45/99 and it will work exactly the same as GF99/99 (for recreational diving).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom