Dive Destination Suggestions - Pacific & Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Palau or Peliliu are supposed to be #1 in the Pacific.

Red Sea is supposed to be #1 in the world.

Cozumel is supposed to be #1 in the Carib. That is where I am headed next.

I found Fiji to be disappointing, and I would not go back there again. The reefs are generally too small for drift diving, so the boat needs to anchor, and then you need to fight the currents. Otherwise, beautiful. We were at Tavenuni.

Supposed ? By who ?
I dived several times in the Red Sea (Safaga) and loved it. But I also dived in the Philippines (Visayas) and Indonesia (Sulawesi) and found it better in terms of coral variety, fish variety and quantity... And I would go back there with no hesitation although it takes longer to fly to than going to Egypt (I live in Switzerland).

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone, especially Damselfish! Yes, I will re-look into getting to GC/LC.... flights are so hard to come by right now with the airlines shrinking routes but divers still heading out for the holidays.

Hawaii was a good recommendation but I just went there a couple months ago, here are the pics.

I plan to shoot mostly wide angle but will be bringing a macro lens. Oh, and a video rig as well.

Back to the flight search!

Old Providence walls compared to that of Little Cayman, Sport Diver Magazine Mar 08. My last trip there, when I was able to take photos, the DO was very considerate in going to where I requested for the photos I wanted to capture.
The diving can be as easy or tec as the individual or group wants, I did turtle rock at 45 to 100 ft and two other divers did the 220 hole in the wall off the same boat. There are a few places to do shore dive and plenty of top side activity if you enjoy nature and the discovering the culture.
Not sure how difficult it would be getting here but from Panama, San Andres Island is just a 45 minute flight and then to get to Old Providence is one more 20 minute flight
I really enjoy the atmosphere on Old Providence and the diving is endless but may I recommend spending a few day on San Andres Island and a few on Old Providence Island this will give you the best of both worlds. San Andres has all the resorts and clubs where Old Providence is totally opposite, a nice change and mix. But it really depends on what you and the girlfriend like. Again Old Providence is a very romantic island, San Andres is more a party island.
Old Providence would be a great place to indulge yourself in the culture, very rich in there culture and they love to share it with all who are interested.
Sorry about my rambling, I’m in a hurry
Ciao
Tad

I know you said you wouldn't do a liveaboard, but for sheer luxury, good food and great diving with experienced, knowledgeable, mega helpful and gentle crew you simply cannot do Palau any other way - it has to be Ocean Hunter 3 through FishnFins. They do day boat diving as well but despite is is good it is not a patch on the liveaboard.

I was there recently with a mix of divers (experienced and beginners)and it is perfectly possible for your girlfriend to enjoy the diving there. It is exciting but as the guides know what they are doing you do not ever have to swim against currents.

Not all the diving is current diving anyway.

I really would recommend it if you fancy Palau. (get the KingQueen cabin too if you can!)

We did 4 days day boat diving as well and stayed in the 5* luxury hotel and ate out every night at different places. We did a great day trip with FishnFins as well - which took in a lovely waterfall walk and we visited a carving workshop, mens house - and so on. Nice way of off gassing on our final day there. Fish n Fins could not have been more friendly and helpful during our stay - they also sorted out the rest of our trip for Yap and Chu'uk - we took 51/2 weeks to do the 3 islands. It is a long way for us so we wanted to do them justice.

Chu'uk wrecks are second to none but the island is sligtly lacking in terms of comfort and food. I would go again in a blink of an eye but it may not be the cossetting type of holiday you had in mind for your girlfriend.

We stayed at Manta Ray Bay Hotel in Yap and loved it - I would recommend going there first and then onto Palau if you do those two islands. You can also do some mangrove kayaking in Yap. The diving is supreme ther as well and there is absolutely no effort involved as all the loading of the bat and setting up gear is done before you get out of bed! Breakfast is great. The bar is great too!

I recommend Yap first as it will give your girlfriend some easy dive experience (and some great sights - mantas especially, but lots of sharks and good corals too) and she can build up her confidence. She will then be ready for Palau, no probs....but do seriuosly consider the liveaboard option there, it makes life a million times easier. (but beware, we put on weight there as the food was so plentiful and so good!)

Let us know what you decide anyway and I am sure you wil have a great time whatever...

You could come see us in Japan- in the southern islands in Dec - Jan water temp will be in the mid-70'sF and the diving is awesome. Start of shark season for big stuff, awesome macro, drift dives and easy reef dives, a few good wreck dives for the adventourous, a trip to 10,000 year old ruins in Yonaguni, 30 meter viz, day trips and shore diving on some of the best soft coral reefs anywhere.

On shore we have beaches, ancient castles all kinds of culture to soak in and its easy to get around. A flight would be Tokyo than Naha so easy to get to.

Supposed by whom? In the Pacific I prefer PNG to Palau, although both are great. In my opinion, Cozumel is not the best diving in the Caribbean. The natural reef architecture is cool, but the coral is beaten up and there is a dearth of fish. Coupled with the diver's slum above water, it is one of my least favorite destinations in the Caribbean. I prefer the outer atolls of Belize, Little Cayman Island, and Bonaire, in that order. The Red Sea may be the best destination in the world, but that might be a Euro-centric view, just as many of our American posters rave about Bonaire and Cozumel. I have not been to the Red Sea, however, so I don't know.

I agree with a lot of this answer, we've not been to Palau yet but I've been to the Red Sea and PNG. PNG was the most enjoyable on a liveabaord. Red Sea we did land based and I would not recommend it with out a group of divers, it would not be best to be there on your own which you could do in PNG.
In the Caribbean I'd vote for 1. Little Cayman, 2 T&C, then Bonaire as Bonaire does top the easy shore dive list for us but then the fish life has been topped at the Brac and Grand Cayman at times.

I actually opted for the Cayman Islands. The flights were relatively good and I don't have that long to spend on the trip, so minimizing travel times and jetlag were an issue. Thanks so much, everyone, for the great suggestions. Palau and PNG are at the top of my list as soon as I get a more extended vacation to work with!

I actually opted for the Cayman Islands. The flights were relatively good and I don't have that long to spend on the trip, so minimizing travel times and jetlag were an issue. Thanks so much, everyone, for the great suggestions. Palau and PNG are at the top of my list as soon as I get a more extended vacation to work with!

I think you see a noteable difference between Hawaii and GC. For one thing GC is flat. A must do dive is "Sting Ray City", shallow about 15ft. Get to the north wall at least once.
If you make LC then it doesnt matter where you dive as it is almost all great on Jacksons Bight/BloodyBay walls. Remember there is very little to do on LC, it is very quiet, of course we love it that way.....the stars are incredible at night.
If you make it to the Brac there are some caves to check out as your handle is funkyspelunker.

can you tell me anything about diving in malaysia or thailand?

I've been to Sipidan in Malay, and the Similian Islands and Richieliu Rock on a liveaboard.

Sipidan is pretty much the same thing over and over, turtles, sharks and more turles and sharks, school of bumperheads and barricudas. 2 days is more than enough.

Richieliu rock is overrated in my opinion. To see a whale shark there you have to be extremely lucky. The DM on the boat has only seen it twice there out of 4 years and going there every week during the diving season.

In South east asia, i say Palau has been my favorite so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom