Dive...Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jschili

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm somewhat new to diving and am very interested in attempting to book a trip as inexpensive as possible (aren't we all?) to the Keys. I am looking to plan a 4-5 day trip and wish to take in some good beginner dives in the 40 - 80' range or so. Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Keys, anywhere to stay, which guides, services, etc I could utilize that would cater to a new diver looking to do his first ocean dives at the aformentioned depths? I'd even be interested in advancing my education/certification while there...getting in some excellent diving while training at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Joe

hey, joe, i moved your thread here to get you some info from the locals

are you planning to go upper keys (Key Largo-Islamorada), middle keys (Long Key-Marathon), or lower keys (Key West)?

the diving isn't so great near Key West, but it's ok. it's much better in the middle
and upper keys.

also, not as much driving

I am not a Keys local, but I have been on a few dive trips there. Tried doing my trips the same way your trying...cheap. Here's what I found. Stay at a motel on Big Pine Key. It's about the cheapest lodging in the Keys. You can get a room for two for about 79 a night, which is good for the Keys.
There are one or two no frills motels on Big Pine and Big Pine offers great diving locations (Looe Key, Adolphus Busch, etc)and has the best and cheapest dive shop in the Keys (Underseas Inc.). A two tank dive runs about 70-80 bucks (at most shops)after everything is all said and done. That's if you have your own gear! There are shops on the Keys that post their boat prices at 60 bucks for a two tank dive, but they don't tell you that it doesn't include your tanks of air or your weights ! Underseas Inc. on Big Pine was like 55 bucks and their service was good and the owners (MS. Rockett) is the best.
Get a car. All the dive shops along the Keys only go to their closest reefs. In other words a dive boat from Big Pine, dives Looe Key Reef. Key West dive boats, dive Key West.Key Largo dives Key Largo area, etc, etc. So if you want to hit a bunch of spots, you'll need to drive to those locations. Which is only 10-20 miles. No bigee.
Also, most of the diving at the Keys, is in the 25-60 feet range. You can find some deeper dives, but the reefs are shallow in the Keys, making it a beginners paradise. Looe Key Reef in Big Pine is world famous and only 25-35 feet. I don't think I've been any place in the world where I have seen more fish then the Keys, in particular Looe Key.

Blitz: Looe Key is one of my favorites. My wife and I rented a house with some friends on Big Torch key and rented a boat for a week of diving. It was great.

Joe: Send a Private Message to Capt Gary who logs onto scubaboard every once and a while. He and his wife Brenda run the Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier in the upper keys and have some good sites from John Pennycamp park on down the coast. Lynne and I had a great time and will plan to dive with Gary a couple times in 2006.

---Bob

For INEXPENSIVE try:

Ed & Ellen's Lodgings (103.3 MM Ocean side). Depending on time of year they run from $49 a night (summer) up to $100 a night on HOLIDAY WEEKENDS. They have a website... www.ed-ellens-lodgings.com Nothing fancy. No phone in room, no pool. Only 5 rooms in the whole place. Has air conditioning, a couple of beds, a bathroom & a mini-kitchen. It is a "mom & pop" place. Rooms are clean & cheap.

Silent World has a 5 trip package (10 dives) for $215 including tax. Cheapest I've seen in the Keys. Includes weight & tanks. Their shop is at 103.3 MM Bay Side...across the street from Ed & Ellen's. Their DOCKS are at 106 mm ocean side. They too have a web sight, I think it is Silent World - Key Largo.com Google it to be sure. They have 2 boats that run with 12 person max. Between the 2 boats you are sure to be getting a REEF/REEF trip to suit your shallow needs! (PS - THey run a good dive op and I use them alot.)

INEXPENSIVE is going to be leaving the KEYS soon! Many of the "old time Key's Places" are selling out for B I G B I G B U C K S. Holiday Isle just sold out for ONE HUNDRED MILLION to a place that is going to build $1 mil + condos. Kelly's on The Bay has sold too, as well as Hobo's marina. All going to developers building MEGA BUCK condos. See the keys while you can before it gets NUTTY EXPENSIVE.

Mike

Actually, the Hungry Pelican is the cheapest I've found, it can be as low as $50 a night. There's been a couple of Scuba Board trips that used it. It was fun! Oh yeah, it's in key largo.

Just a quickie note... check dive prices before do anything. I know a lot of shops have had to raise rates because of fuel prices.

Rachel

If you want to try something different and cost effective, try camping. BAhia Honda N or BPK is a good place to start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom