Dive gloves in Coz issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toss them in a pocket and put them on underwater. Just remember to take them off when you surface. I don't touch coral on purpose, but an accidental bump against the wrong thing could be very dangerous. Neoprene is there for your protection, too....not just warmth.

As for the knife....being from New England, I won't get in the water without that or a pair of shears (or both).

Just got back Coz/ Playa....I have a hose mounted UK Remora knife mounted on my inflator hose.....I never got the Stink, Crook, or Evil eye once. You shouldn't have any problems.

I've only dove Coz once, but the 'no gloves' rule did come up. I understand most of the marine parks in Mexico have a no gloves rule. For me, no gloves poses a mild problem in that I lost most of a finger in Belize a couple years ago and having whats left cut on coral is somewhat unappealing. The DM didn't bat an eye and let me wear my gloves, and I've since heard that the no glove rule is sporadically enforced at worst.

Not allowing gloves is a great idea. WAY too many people 'lightly' touch corals. Wait until they do that to a fire coral without gloves.

If you want gloves at a line on a safetly stop, fine, pull them out of your pocket.

I wish they'd enforce this more.

Darryl

Both trips, 1 before 9/11 and one after was to bring shears and throw them into checked bags.

Brought gloves and put them on as I descended. --Starfish

I'd venture to say that, like pretty much everything in Mexico, a small tip will get one exempted from the law.

WW

There is no reason to use gloves in a place like Coz. None, zero, nada. The water is warm and there are no mooring lines to hold. Any decent tropical diver knows what can be touched safely. This sounds like a bunch of cold water divers who are so used to wearing gloves that they must feel naked without them.

If you want to use gloves when you are not supposed to and even stoop to sneeking them on underwater, please stay home.

warm water and no fishing line. Plus, you're sailing along in the current and not touching anything anyway. You don't need gloves and a knife looks silly. They do have a strict rule about anyone
who does the Warhammer Maneuver. There are fines for anyone
who violates that rule.

Lawman once bubbled...
You don't need gloves and a knife looks silly.

Define need. Sailing along in that current it would be very easy to accidentally bump into something dangerous.

As for the knife looking silly....That's the best reason I've ever heard. When I was in the Bahamas, I wore a knife and sea snips. I won't get in the water without them. S___ happens and you are better off with a cutting tool than without.

leadweight once bubbled...
If you want to use gloves when you are not supposed to and even stoop to sneeking them on underwater, please stay home.

Because wearing gloves makes me less environmentally friendly? More dangerous? Riiiiiight....

How does me having a pair of 1mm gloves on my hands affect you or the environment in any way? I don't go around touching things, but should something go wrong, I am prepared and won't end up with a nasty sting from a fire coral.

Plus, were I the type of person who liked to touch coral when I wasn't supposed to (and I'm not that type of person), do you think it is better or worse for the coral if I am wearing gloves. I'd guess that neoprene will hurt the coral less than bare skin.

Yeah...I am a cold water diver. I know how to prepare myself so I don't get injured. Yes, it is unlikely, but it isn't a chance I'm willing to take. I also won't wear a shorty wetsuit in open water for the same reasons.

Just because some morons in Cozumel decided to make a totally irrational law doesn't mean you have any right to tell me to stay home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom