Dive Instruction in NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking into advancing my dive education during spring break in NC. Are there any suggestions for a place to get a superb education? I am looking around Moorehead City, and Olympus is high on my list. Any other suggestions?

Which classes?

Just so you are aware, spring break comes well before the peak dive season in NC. People can and do dive when the weather cooperates, but you're not likely to find a boat full of divers waiting for you to jump on the charter with them.

It can take a little more planning and a good dose of flexibility.

Olympus is a first class place, and I'm sure they can give you some good guidance about what to expect. The other place I know of with full time instructors on staff is Discovery Diving (also very good). Most of the smaller ops (like Tortuga Charters) work with instructors and might be able to set something up.

Wilmington (Aquatic Safaris) is another nice dive spot in NC with full time instructors and charter boats.

I took a wreck class at Olympus with Jon this past summer. I was very happy with the instruction I received. There were only two of us, both very solid in the water, and we got a lot more than I expected. He had us use the TDI Advanced manual for the course although it was a first level course.

I've decided that I will take Rescue at the coast. What is the point of getting certified in a quarry when all of my diving here is in our mighty ocean? I want to make sure that I can handle Rescues in deep water, strong current, etc. I will probably base my choice on the particular instructor and how I feel about their training skills.

I've decided that I will take Rescue at the coast. What is the point of getting certified in a quarry when all of my diving here is in our mighty ocean? I want to make sure that I can handle Rescues in deep water, strong current, etc.

With all due respect Lulubelle, even if you do your rescue training at the coast (and there is nothing wrong with that) I doubt you are going to do your work out in the mighty ocean. Most likely it will be a sand quarry in Bettie (read mud hole) or Radio Island. Why would you waste travel time and lodging for that when there are so many good training opportunities in the triangle for the same training? If you are hell bent on it, when you dive Tortuga this summer I will throw a cushion off into the current on the SI and let you rescue it for practice. :D

With all due respect Lulubelle, even if you do your rescue training at the coast (and there is nothing wrong with that) I doubt you are going to do your work out in the mighty ocean. Most likely it will be a sand quarry in Bettie (read mud hole) or Radio Island. Why would you waste travel time and lodging for that when there are so many good training opportunities in the triangle for the same training? If you are hell bent on it, when you dive Tortuga this summer I will throw a cushion off into the current on the SI and let you rescue it for practice. :D

Good point Captain James. I already intended on finding out where the checkout dives were going to be done. If it isn't in the open ocean, I'll stay local. No lodging to be wasted though, I already have that permanently taken care of. Plus, when I "work" my way down to the coast, I can expense my meals! As for the cushion, come on, you can do better than THAT. Just throw Theo off during the SI and I'll haul his butt back to the boat. :D

I personally know Bobby at Olympus Dive Center. P.O. Box 486 · 713 Shepard St.
Morehead City, NC 28557 252) 726-9432 OlympusDiving.com. I know he runs a top rated boat. If you have any questions give him a call. I would definitely do some training with him and his company. I am an instructor and would recommend his operation. congrats on improving your training.

Thanks for all of your input. I am not from the area so scouting out dive shops is difficult--I basically have to rely on webpages which doesn't tell me a whole lot except about the quality of web designer. Anyway, everyone knows that the instructor is the most important thing when determining where to dive; your comments will come in handy.

Before I go though, does anyone know anything about Black Jack Tech Diving in Aberdeen?

Mike Campbell works out of Olympus when school lets out and he is a very good instructor. If you want his contact info shoot me a PM. I'm considering heading down there after the semester ends and get in a few dives with him.

Discovery runs a six pack, so it might be easier to get a class scheduled through them during your spring break. If you have questions, email them and ask questions. They will be glad to answer them. dive@discoverydiving.com

Back
Top Bottom