Dive Kayaks: Post a pic of your ride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,
I'm looking for a Kayak to dive off of and also to explore the local waters (SF Bay Area) How about a pic of your setup, and a short review of the kayak.

Thanks

Well, I tried to post links but it would not accept them so I give up.

I like the Scupper Pro TW and the new Prowler 13 and the Scrambler XT, all by Ocean Kayak. I own a Scupper Pro TW. Kind of cold right now to haul it out for a pic. N

Ben_ca:
Hello all,
I'm looking for a Kayak to dive off of and also to explore the local waters (SF Bay Area) How about a pic of your setup, and a short review of the kayak.

Thanks

Hi, I just started kayak diving down in Monterey (2 dives last weekend @ Pt. Lobos and Mono Lobo). I'm enjoying it a lot - stressful, certainly, but exhilarating. I went with a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140. I have some pictures of it here, taken before I outfitted it for diving:

http://www.stanford.edu/~bhackett/kayak/

This model is working great for me. It has all the room I need (big tank well in the back, and plenty of room in the front hatch for a spare HP80, anchor, etc.), and tracks and handles great in the water, either empty or with full gear and that spare tank. If you want to do longer paddles, this or another touring sit-on-top like the OK Scupper Pro TW might be a good fit. I went with a rudder and don't regret it, night and day for me as far as handling goes.

What works for me may not work for you, though, and the best thing I did while looking at kayaks was to go down to Monterey Bay Kayaks (on Fremont, next to the Fisherman's Wharf) to try different ones out. For $30, you can take out as many different kayaks as you want, load them up with gear (no diving off them, though), and paddle them out as far as the aquarium. You can call ahead to check availability or reserve models you're interested in.

http://www.montereybaykayaks.com/

Brian

Thanks Brian,
You dove with Erickson didn't you? I might be in Monterey this Sunday (17 Feb 05) and do that... I'm a little stufy so I might not dive at all but at least I'll be able to test out the kayaks... Let me know when you guys go out again maybe I'll tag along

Ben

Ben_ca:
Thanks Brian,
You dove with Erickson didn't you? I might be in Monterey this Sunday (17 Feb 05) and do that... I'm a little stufy so I might not dive at all but at least I'll be able to test out the kayaks... Let me know when you guys go out again maybe I'll tag along

Ben

Yep. For the time being, I think most of our kayak dives will be weekdays at Lobos. Easy entries/exits and short paddles will be good until we get more comfortable and have the whole procedure firmly ironed out. It'd be great if you could come along either then (plenty of great sites reachable via both swimming and kayaking), or for weekend shore diving.

Brian

Don't forget, no matter what kayak you decide to get, make sure to store it OUT OF THE SUN when not in use. You should even get a cover for the car top if you plan to make longer drives with it. The sun will ruin any kayak made from any material. Of course as I type this my Kevlar dowriver racing canoe and fiberglass surf ski are baking in the Colorado sun. :wink:

octotat:
Don't forget, no matter what kayak you decide to get, make sure to store it OUT OF THE SUN when not in use. You should even get a cover for the car top if you plan to make longer drives with it. The sun will ruin any kayak made from any material. Of course as I type this my Kevlar dowriver racing canoe and fiberglass surf ski are baking in the Colorado sun. :wink:

I think Dupont makes a product called "303 Protectant". It works wonders on kayaks.

Yes DO keep them out of the sun all the time.

Nemrod:
Well, I tried to post links but it would not accept them so I give up.

I like the Scupper Pro TW and the new Prowler 13 and the Scrambler XT, all by Ocean Kayak. I own a Scupper Pro TW. Kind of cold right now to haul it out for a pic. N

I have had my eye on the Scupper Pro TW for a very long time. Is it a stable dive platform??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom