Dive knife/cutters: needed or not needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like most gear configuration questions; the answer depends on what is best for YOU.

After some experimentation I decided to carry both a knife and large trauma shears.

The knife is a titanium 3" pointed tip sheath knife mounted handle down on my chest strap.

The shears are in a pocket on my waist strap.

These are survival tools and not used for prying, digging, etc. Although it took some effort the knife is razor sharp. I replace the shears periodically as either the center pin rusts through or is gets rusty enough cutting becomes difficult.

These are tools for cutting tangles. On those rare occasions when I need a tool for underwater prying and digging I add a leg mount sheath knife.

Anywhere you might get entangled you need a cutting devise, so:

I carry a 3" bladed knife on my left shoulder BC strap, just below the LPI hose. it's sheathed handle down. If I need one, that's what I reach for. Useful for fishing line and small ropes I can pull taught.

By my right hip. sort of under my BC, I carry shears for stuff the knife can't handle. In the tank trim pocket, I carry a 5"blade, in case I can't reach my other knife

Thanks for the advice! The bit about limp-vs-tight lines is interesting, though I imagine any situation in which one is entangled in limp line will soon become a situation in which one is entangled in tight line... as it sounds like one poster found out!

i went a couple of years without feeling the need for a knife, but when my buddy got caught up in some fishing line (snagged her tank neck, she didn't even realise until after i got her to stop) i figured it was probably worthwhile.

i didn't like the idea of pointy things near my floaty BC either, especially given my general co-ordination :p, but found a single-edged, serrated blunt-ended knife (looks a bit like a breadknife) which has 2 attachement options: LP inflator hose and belt.

plus it has a nice yellow handle :D

40_29.jpg

Back
Top Bottom