Dive Lake Michigan!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... another thread from the "way-back machine" here. It is slick how a two-year old thread can be rejuvenated.

Oh, BTW, I agree with the idea of jet skis being possible for Higgins Lake. I DESPISE that hike to the dive point.

diverbrian:
... another thread from the "way-back machine" here. It is slick how a two-year old thread can be rejuvenated.

Oh, BTW, I agree with the idea of jet skis being possible for Higgins Lake. I DESPISE that hike to the dive point.

MAN I second that. Next time we decide to dive Higgins Lake, we need to have gtlx1200 come along and act as a ferry! That hike across the sand flats in full gear, in August, is like the Baatan Death March! Especially if you are hauling a 20lb Fluke Anchor like I was last August! By the way, who needs a 20lb Fluke Anchor? My wife is tired of seeing it in the flower bed!!!!

frankenmuth_tom:
MAN I second that. Next time we decide to dive Higgins Lake, we need to have gtlx1200 come along and act as a ferry! That hike across the sand flats in full gear, in August, is like the Baatan Death March!
That is why you need a father-in-law with a raft parked at the dock of the Jackson VFW cabins. Then you can roll your gear down to the boat on a wagon and load it on board. Then you just motor out to any of the dive sites drop anchor, gear up and dive. I would have to agree that the death march is a killer when doing a shore dive from the VFW home to the boats.

Do you guys dive any other spots on Higgins or are you guys limited to diving from shore? I got a map last year from the couple that runs the Air Shack up there with all of the dive locations marked. I am waiting to hear what the status of the shop is this year as the couple that owns it moved. I did talk to a Mark Huffman though and he thought that the shop would still be open. The couple who own the shop also own the coffee shop there in town as well. I spend at least one week up at Higgins in the summer time so I hope that they will be open again next year. I will keep you posted as to what I hear. Higgins seems to get a number of divers each year during the summer time.

Mitten Diver

Mitten Diver:
That is why you need a father-in-law with a raft parked at the dock of the Jackson VFW cabins. Then you can roll your gear down to the boat on a wagon and load it on board. Then you just motor out to any of the dive sites drop anchor, gear up and dive. I would have to agree that the death march is a killer when doing a shore dive from the VFW home to the boats.

Do you guys dive any other spots on Higgins or are you guys limited to diving from shore? I got a map last year from the couple that runs the Air Shack up there with all of the dive locations marked. I am waiting to hear what the status of the shop is this year as the couple that owns it moved. I did talk to a Mark Huffman though and he thought that the shop would still be open. The couple who own the shop also own the coffee shop there in town as well. I spend at least one week up at Higgins in the summer time so I hope that they will be open again next year. I will keep you posted as to what I hear. Higgins seems to get a number of divers each year during the summer time.

Mitten Diver

...at the Air Shack in August, and he gave us a business card. Said if the place was closed and we needed air, to just give him a call and he would open up and fill the tanks for us. My feeling is that this is strictly a 'side job' for him.

Dave and I have only done the beach dives from the VFW, and have been warned away from any dives on the south shore as the walk to deep water is over a half mile. I had a copy of the map too, but can't lay my hands on it right now.

What I have considered is going to one of the little marinas and renting a pontoon boat for the day, and making three or four dives in different places. There is a sunken island on Higgins Lake that has some diving along the edge of it, but would need a GPS and coordinates to find it. Kim, at the Dive Shop in Flint used to do it that way, renting a boat I mean, and dive the whole day. We would have to get a half dozen divers together for the day and split the cost, I suppose.

gtxl1200:
My Jet skiis or better known as Personal watercraft Are large 3 seaters that are very stable. with large swim platforms on the back for strapping down Gear. Also to use to stand on while gearing up once getting to the dive site. I myself could ride 10 or more miles to a dive site as I have ridden farther then that in one stretch. But I ride them all the time just not sure about a person or a dive buddy who has never ridden one before. As far as a GPS I never leave shore without mine. Yes theft is a thought and add that to number 6. as reasons why it isnt quite practical but it is still doable. they need a key to be started which would fit nicely in a bc pocket but it still wouldnt stop someone from coming along and hooking a rope to it and towing it off with another boat. I have insurance but it would make a long swim back from a dive if they were gone. Like I said it may not be practical but it is doable and I started this thread by saying I didnt want to start a Flame war.

Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

gtxl1200:
My Jet skiis or better known as Personal watercraft Are large 3 seaters that are very stable. with large swim platforms on the back for strapping down Gear. Also to use to stand on while gearing up once getting to the dive site. I myself could ride 10 or more miles to a dive site as I have ridden farther then that in one stretch. But I ride them all the time just not sure about a person or a dive buddy who has never ridden one before. As far as a GPS I never leave shore without mine. Yes theft is a thought and add that to number 6. as reasons why it isnt quite practical but it is still doable. they need a key to be started which would fit nicely in a bc pocket but it still wouldnt stop someone from coming along and hooking a rope to it and towing it off with another boat. I have insurance but it would make a long swim back from a dive if they were gone. Like I said it may not be practical but it is doable and I started this thread by saying I didnt want to start a Flame war.

Yo Buddy, we're not in battle, just giving our opinions. If the Jet Ski thing works for you, right on ! :clapping: I live & let live. More power to ya. I wish I had another option, like having a boat, LOL, but I don't. :116: Good divin & good Viz. George

Zombie must eat brains!!!!

Dive Chicago goes out of Burnham harbor downtown, and N'pursuit does some shallow wrecks out of East Chicago, IN (it's really just across the IN border).

I haven't dove with Dive Chicago since they got their new boat, but I hear it's quite an improvement.

I've never dove with N'pursuit, but all of my friends who have have always had a good time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom