Dive Leader Loyalty? - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ain't that the truth! - Appreciate the many comments - definitely will surface regardless, with a buddy, next time the DM be damned.

Interesting thing about the buddy though, as when you go out on a group dive in OW as a newly certified diver, I noticed that you are not "buddied" up, you are just told by the DM "stay with me and make sure I can see you at all times". This happened with the 3 first different outfits I have been out with (1 in Europe, 2 on Hawaii). In my inexperience at the time, I really didn't question the implied no-need for an identified buddy

On this particular dive, #25 overall or so, I was diving with my son and wife and we had not been asked to, nor pre-arranged, who was buddy for whom, and we sort of went our separate ways within the dictate of being in sight of the DM, so in me trying to decide wehether to stay with the DM as my air fizzled out, or go up with enough for contingencies, it included the assumption that I would have go up on my own, which I knew was another no-no! - Now that I am a little more experienced, I know I need to clarify pre-dive with my own diving group (we were 3) that we need to pre-arrange that if one of us have to defy the DM and need to go up, before the entire group is ready, it will be with a buddy that we identified pre-dive (or all 3 stay down together or surface together). We were just to inexperienced to have figured that out at the time.

dumpsterdiver hit it on the nai with the quote above!!

(None of this has deterred me and my son from continuing to dive our lungs thin together!)

Thanks! I would make one comment. The recreational buddy system and diving in casual groups and keeping a dive master in sight will most likely prevent you from being lost...just keep up with the divemaster.. pretty damn simple.. but in my opinion it is NOT safe enough, especially on a drift dive. You can stop up stream, have a problem and the DM may be too far down current to see you and/or provide life support help. If this scenario makes you uncomfortable (and it should), my recommendation is to buy a pony bottle and use it....

I've been the divemaster on many hundreds of dives and there is no way I am really able to ensure a customer's safety in a big group in a current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom