Dive lights on plane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you place it in checked luggage, I would either remove the battery

The original poster can't do that:

I will be taking my pair of Light and Motion Solas which are sealed lights as far as battery access goes.

or tape the switch to avoid it turning on IF turning on could start a fire. Electrical tape would be my choice of tape.

In checked baggage that would be the way to go, but it would be safer to take them as carry-on.

Aren't the TSA rules on batteries NOT APPLICABLE when leaving Mexico? Don't the Mexican inspectors demand the OPPOSITE of TSA?
That is, when entering Mexico from the US TSA does NOT want checked batteries, only carry-on. But when leaving Mexico, it is NO BATTERIES in carry on?
This is my experience. And for exiting Mexico, it is for ALL batteries, not just Lithium-based.

Aren't the TSA rules on batteries NOT APPLICABLE when leaving Mexico? Don't the Mexican inspectors demand the OPPOSITE of TSA?
That is, when entering Mexico from the US TSA does NOT want checked batteries, only carry-on. But when leaving Mexico, it is NO BATTERIES in carry on?
This is my experience. And for exiting Mexico, it is for ALL batteries, not just Lithium-based.

Thanks. This is what it seems like according to the other comments in the thread. If that's the case I'll likely carry on lights and spare batteries from USA to Mexico, then have lights and batteries checked on exiting Mexico and switch them before second connecting flight in USA.

Thanks. This is what it seems like according to the other comments in the thread. If that's the case I'll likely carry on lights and spare batteries from USA to Mexico, then have lights and batteries checked on exiting Mexico and switch them before second connecting flight in USA.

That's exactly what I do....becasue I don't want the Mexican authorities stealing all my batteries ever again.

As I understand it, you can not have any dive light batteries in your carry-on, neither installed or loose. Dive light batteries in your checked luggage can not be installed in the lights. PITA

Yes, in Mexico. They have a display case just before the screening that shows a number of confiscated batteries. I don't try batteries in my carry-on. I have had them empty batteries out of my dive lights in checked baggage - leaving them loose in the checked bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I understand it, you can not have any dive light batteries in your carry-on, neither installed or loose. Dive light batteries in your checked luggage can not be installed in the lights. PITA
You mean in Mexico, right ?

I believe you are correct, the basic rules as I understand it for any flight, is you follow the rules for the point of departure. Board the plane in the USA - USA rules. Boarding in Mexico? - Mexico rules (or any other country you are departing from). Outbound from Mexico and rechecking after customs in the US? Start with Mexico rules and switch to USA rules prior to re-checking after customs. In the USA if there is a difference between FAA, TSA, or DOT rules, default to the TSA rules, as they are the ones who have access to your batteries.

I believe you are correct, the basic rules as I understand it for any flight, is you follow the rules for the point of departure. Board the plane in the USA - USA rules. Boarding in Mexico? - Mexico rules (or any other country you are departing from). Outbound from Mexico and rechecking after customs in the US? Start with Mexico rules and switch to USA rules prior to re-checking after customs. In the USA if there is a difference between FAA, TSA, or DOT rules, default to the TSA rules, as they are the ones who have access to your batteries.
FWIW, when boarding in Cozumel no one has ever made an issue of the three extra batteries in my video camera bag that I carry on.

FWIW, when boarding in Cozumel no one has ever made an issue of the three extra batteries in my video camera bag that I carry on.

FWIW, my wife had her carry-on batteries taken away in Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom