Dive lights on plane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were they installed in any sort of device? If not, it would be expected that batteries would not be permitted in carry-on departing Cozumel.

That is exactly my point...it is the opposite of the TSA rule for flying TO Cozumel.

That is exactly my point...it is the opposite of the TSA rule for flying TO Cozumel.

TSA has nothing to do with it. It's a Mexican security rule.

For all the TSA cares, you can take all the batteries out of your checked luggage when you retrieve it for customs then put them in your carry-on before re-checking your bags and going through the TSA re-entry.

My experience has been that Mexican air security people in Cozumel do not allow any batteries in carry-on unless the batteries are installed in a device. No loose batteries. This applies (depending on time of day, mood of security person, skill of security person, moon phase, tidal conditions, weather and other mysterious factors) to virtually every kind of battery you might carry. If they find a battery in your carry-on, they are likely to tell you to check it (not possible at that point) or they will seize it.

This poses a problem if you use lithium batteries, because the TSA will not allow loose lithium batteries in checked luggage in the USA. If they find them they will seize them. Many of us have to catch connecting flights within the USA while enroute to and from Mexico and the batteries are likely to be found.

If you have more lithium batteries than you can install in devices, then you have a problem. Bear in mind that Lithium batteries include things like Eneloops which are kind of expensive, and many rechargeable proprietary batteries for lights, cameras, etc., that tend to be very expensive.

If you have a battery-operated device in which you are willing to leave lithium batteries installed, then that solves the problem, but if you want to take extra proprietary camera batteries that often cost $30.00 to $60.00 a pop, that can be challenging.

There are creative solutions to the problem, such as taking extra flashlights with you solely as battery containers or relying more on alkalines in devices where they can be used, but the bottom line is don't plan on taking loose lithium batteries out of Cozumel unless you are prepared for them to get taken.

A Sola light should be no problem no matter how you carry it.

I have actually found that if you leave a lithium camera battery in the charger, there is at least a chance that the Cozumel security folks will consider it to be installed in a device.

My experience has been that Mexican air security people in Cozumel do not allow any batteries in carry-on unless the batteries are installed in a device. No loose batteries. This applies (depending on time of day, mood of security person, skill of security person, moon phase, tidal conditions, weather and other mysterious factors) to virtually every kind of battery you might carry. If they find a battery in your carry-on, they are likely to tell you to check it (not possible at that point) or they will seize it.

This poses a problem if you use lithium batteries, because the TSA will not allow loose lithium batteries in checked luggage in the USA. If they find them they will seize them. Many of us have to catch connecting flights within the USA while enroute to and from Mexico and the batteries are likely to be found.

If you have more lithium batteries than you can install in devices, then you have a problem. Bear in mind that Lithium batteries include things like Eneloops which are kind of expensive, and many rechargeable proprietary batteries for lights, cameras, etc., that tend to be very expensive.

If you have a battery-operated device in which you are willing to leave lithium batteries installed, then that solves the problem, but if you want to take extra proprietary camera batteries that often cost $30.00 to $60.00 a pop, that can be challenging.

There are creative solutions to the problem, such as taking extra flashlights with you solely as battery containers or relying more on alkalines in devices where they can be used, but the bottom line is don't plan on taking loose lithium batteries out of Cozumel unless you are prepared for them to get taken.

A Sola light should be no problem no matter how you carry it.

I have actually found that if you leave a lithium camera battery in the charger, there is at least a chance that the Cozumel security folks will consider it to be installed in a device.
Eneloops are not lithium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if a battery case would help? I looked at the basic clamshell cases and storacell cases. The TSA says original package or in devices are allowed, but not sure where a specific battery cases would fall in and would we have less of an issue carrying 16 AA batteries.

The problem with Mexico is that they're not consistent. Carrying on your primary is OK, until the time that it isn't, forcing you to go back and check it.

Maybe the best is to have a very cheap pen light to hold the batteries. Then the batteries are the "intended" device.

Does anyone know if a battery case would help? I looked at the basic clamshell cases and storacell cases. The TSA says original package or in devices are allowed, but not sure where a specific battery cases would fall in and would we have less of an issue carrying 16 AA batteries.
You can and should carry your batteries into Mexico in your checked luggage. I bring my dive lights unloaded and the batteries in new sealed packaging.

I don't bring any of them home. I give all my leftover batteries to the dive shop before I leave.

Never had any of my Solas or my batteries questioned (although they do usually take a look at them). My L&M housing attracts all the attention by TSA

Back
Top Bottom