Dive Log Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi ScubaSean

Sorry I sounded a little confusing - you don't need 'witnessed' logs to meet the >100 dives criteria - just more than 100 dives. My colleagues on the course hadn't logged their early dives and didn't have computers either. I'm sure a download of the computer will be fine....

MG.

I use a PDA and found a program on Handspring.com It cost 10 bucks and works great. You can download a demo to try it out.

minigirl once bubbled...
Hi ScubaSean

Sorry I sounded a little confusing - you don't need 'witnessed' logs to meet the >100 dives criteria - just more than 100 dives. My colleagues on the course hadn't logged their early dives and didn't have computers either. I'm sure a download of the computer will be fine....

MG.

Hey! I appreciate the clarification... :)

Actually, the reason I asked was because my AOW instructor insisted he sign my "log" (the artificial log created hastily on lined notebook paper) and I was wondering whether there is some standard that says if I can't at some later date pull these sheets out of my files, someone will question whether I actually did the work...heh

I agree that my computer ought to speak for itself....

Thanks!

I use the Suunto download program and keep the paper log for my certifications and upgrades to my AOW card. (My agency has a portion of their C-Cards that lists number of dives.)

The Suunto program works great and most of our divers swear by it. I figure that the download is better than a witness. After all, somebody else would have to have taken my d.c. down with them to "forge" that signature.

scubasean said...

Actually, the reason I asked was because my AOW instructor insisted he sign my "log" (the artificial log created hastily on lined notebook paper) and I was wondering whether there is some standard that says if I can't at some later date pull these sheets out of my files, someone will question whether I actually did the work...heh

If you go on to do speciality courses, you can usually count your one of your AOW dives as the first dive of the speciality. For example, if you did the Drift dive as one of your AOW dives, you only need one more dive to complete the Drift speciality course... but since Drift is an optional dive for AOW, you will need some evidence that you actually completed it.

Z

Zept once bubbled...

If you go on to do speciality courses, you can usually count your one of your AOW dives as the first dive of the speciality. For example, if you did the Drift dive as one of your AOW dives, you only need one more dive to complete the Drift speciality course... but since Drift is an optional dive for AOW, you will need some evidence that you actually completed it.

Z

I absolutely concur...But if I decline to write a log entry, *and* choose a different instructor, I can see the point.

In my humble opinion, writing the log entry should be optional, once I understand the implications of making the choice.

Thanks!

I use SharkPoint for over a year. Just great Windows logbook, also available on Palm and PocketPC, and perfect support (24/7). Just get your demo version : www.dreamdives.org

Greetings,
Frank Schipper

I have found that the IDL (Internet Dived Log) from www.immersions.com is a good log software program.

It allows you to post to a web site, if you choose, or just keep the log on your PC.

Mike...

I did a quick and dirty one with MSAccess. Works Great.
Maybe someday I'll do one with C++ when I get the time!

I use a combination of my dive computers interface printout, and a manual log entry. The reason is simply my dive computer although with me on teaching dives, tends to log multiple dives in one teaching session. This is especially true during OW classes. So I log OW classes and other dives of this nature manually. If I didn't, I would have a VERY impressive summer of diving, but not very honest.

I suppose if I had logging software that could do both it may be beneficial. However, I have seen people who fake log entries in order to obtain certifications. For this reason I feel that a witnessed manual entry, or logging software that has a location for a witness name and C card number, or the direct data dump from a dive computer to software, would be the only log entries I would accept.

We have all seen the complaints about bad instructors, who look like they themselves have just learned to dive with the abysmally poor skills they have. It makes me wonder, did they pad the logbooks in order to qualify?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom