dive logs "why do you keep them"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJTY:
What do you do if you dont keep logs and a dive op wants to see before they let you dive with them?
I occasionally update my logs with an overview and any interesting details, but I almost never bring the log book with me when I dive. If an op wanted to see my log, I'd tell them I didn't have it with me, but I'd be happy to answer any questions they had about my experience. So far, that's never been a problem.

Op: "Can I see your logbook?"
Me: "No, I didn't bring it along, as I usually update it from my computer when I get home."
Op: "Oh... well, when's the last time you did an ocean dive?"
Me: "Well, two weeks ago I did a 90' wreck dive in New England, but the visibility was rotten and we aborted early. The last good ocean dive I had was a 70' scallop dive off of Salem the week before that."
Op: "Cool. Do you have a C-card with you?"
Me: "Yup."

I think it's cool to see how much time in hours I have actually spent underwater. I also like the record, just for the sake of having a record. I've never been good at keeping a journal, so this is a good 'formalized' way of making myself 'journal' my dives.

There are lots of reasons to keep a log. The most basic one is because you enjoy it. Any time I think about not logging my dives (not often) I remember Bob. Bob started diving about the time I was born. He was one of my mentors, I dived with him quite often from about dive 50 till about dive 850. I filled out my log book religiously, he would often comment on how he wished he'd kept a log. I never want to be in that position.

I just log basic information about the dive, bottom time mainly and I keep a running record of total time. If it is a certification dive I'll note that as well. Many times I put in time in and time out, maybe the temperature. I keep all of the other information on the computer dive program.

When I travel one of the dive shops has a little dive log printed with their information on the cover. I will buy one for the heck of it. They are over priced but what the heck. Its cool to keep the diferent ones around. BTW, I don't want it to sound like I have a shelf full of dive logs. I've only got two right now but hope to have many more.

I have often wonder if divers on a trip brag a long 2 3 of 5 or more log book as to prov they have 20 50 100 dives. It seams to me a print out off my PC from my computer down loads well do the same thing. Pulse having my dive computer with me can give the lase 30 dives.
I would add that I do log all my dives.

It only takes 5-10 minutes, so why not log them? My background, prior to diving, is in aviation. EVERYTHING is logged for EVERY flight.

As others have mentioned, it helps me keep track of different BC's, different problems/fixes, different weights/exposure suits, water temp, air temp, and different things I saw or did. And there's nothing wrong with liking the stickers, stamps, and stuff.

I also feel like it's a part of being a disciplined diver.

I keep mine not only to jog my memory, for a momento, or to keep up with equipment configuration(s), but also you never know what you want to do in the future. I may want a job (I doubt it, I'm looking for retirement) and have to prove my logged dives, I go to Bonne Terre Mine every year, where they want to see your log book to see what trails you have been on.

You just never know, so therefore it is a good habit to keep.

Keep a paper log. It's fun to read in the future. In addition to providing good data about your weight, equip., etc., it's fun to look back and be reminded of cool divers or people you've met along the diving road.

I've dove all over the place and had a DM ask to see my log exactly once. He happened to notice it and just asked to glance thru it. He kinda grinned and handed it back. I imagine any DM that wanted to know dive experience would accept a verbal account.

The "always keep a log and carry it with you, "cause DM's and Dive Ops will ask to see it, rap" is just a sea story.

But you also aren't gonna curl up by the fire and look at your dive record on your computer. It's just like a diary of your dives, instead of your adolescence.

Keep paper ones, they are a blast to look at over the years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom