dive logs "why do you keep them"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You keep logs so the dive police won't come and put you in federal decompression prison.

For 40 years I didn't keep a log. We had our own compressor and the local dive shops knew me so I didn't need one. It wasnb't until I conquered my fear of flying and started doing international dive travel that I began keeping one. Even that didn't help- most of the dive ops I went with had no clue what a Los Angeles County c-card was.

Andy/Ironhed,

I didn't log my first 5 years of diving, but I wished I had. When I became an instructor 29 years ago it became the thing to do, and I'm glad I finally got started.

At first it wasn't easy, keeping a paper log, but I liked to draw out dive sites and keep track of the divers I met, where we were and what happened. Since 1995 when I got my first downloading computer it became a joy!

Now I can show you thousands of dive profiles, seasonal reports on temperature, visibility, and marine life... along with what fish we speared! I teach all levels of dive classes with them.

I also keep a brief Captains log, and can compare it to the dive log. BTW, when I took my Captains course I didn't have to fudge my "on water record"... it was in my dive log.

Since I started shooting video and U/W photos about 18 years ago, and digital topside photos since 2000, the collection has augmented the history.

All of the recorded dives I've done over the decades have become my personal references, for articles I've written and even just for online posts. Having pertinent details to quote makes all the difference!

Chad

Lots have mentioned their reasons for keeping a log, and I have to agree with every one.
Every dive is a learing experience. One of my instructors taught me that early on. My dive log is not only a way for me to record that learning experience, but also to use each dive to identify new learning needs in the world of diving.
Dive planning now becomes more than looking back at previous dives at the same site to see what I wore and what I took with me. I also look at recent dives to identify any skills I feel I want to work on or to complete any recently identified needs.
It doens't matter if you have 10 dives or 10,000. There is always something to learn in a dive, and my dive log is a great help to that end.
I still record many of the obvious things like critters I saw, the condition of the wreck I dove (has it deteriorated since last time?), anything I can think of. But for me, the most important thing about my log is its use as a learning record and learning tool.

I used to keep a log, but only for things like how to get to some place I wanted to dive again. A sunken barge in Senaca lake is one I want to dive again. The detailed description of how to get to it is now gone. Rats. I first dived it in 1962 but moved away in 64 and have only dived it a couple times since then and want to dive it again before I'm too old to schlep the gear down and up the steep hillside.

My gear bag got soaked by wave after wave breaking over the side of the boat on a rig trip. The log erased itself. Bummer. So, no more logging for the past fifteen years or so.

If I kept a log it would be for things like triggering memories.

I like to keep a log, not to keep track of the number of dives, but to make notes about sites and how things deteriorate/change over time, who I dove with, gear configurations, fish that I've seen, and to keep track of my SAC rate and things of that nature. If you use the same gear and dive the same location repeatedly with the same buddies, then I imagine there's not much point in making notes. Of course, I'd also think "what's the point in diving?". :)

To keep track of weighting and buoyancy for different gear configurations

i personally don't keep one cuz i dive almost daily...

but...

for those who don't..

is a good way to keep track of weight needed for different suits. People ask us all the time, "I have a 3mm suit, how much weight should i need..?" my reply.."what did you use last time you wore a 3mm?" "I am not sure..8 pounds maybe!?!"

Thats the only really good reason i can see for a dive log, other than the memento idea.

I stopped wrting into a log book after losing my 2nd logbook in 15 dives. So, I just use the log on my suunto, upload it to the PC, and fill int he blanks. I'm not likely to lose my Mosquito :D
Z...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom