dive logs "why do you keep them"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironhed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
when I was learning scuba the instructors were so concerned about logging dives I did log them until I got about 40 but since then I really see no reason to keep tract of my dives. any really valid reasons to write all this stuff down. I can see logging dives if you need to prove your recent dive history to a dive boat or if you are seeking out a particular level in diving where prerequisite dives need to be attained before going on to another level or certification but for the guy or girl that just wants to dive why bother logging all your dives?

For me it's not about numbers ...I stopped counting years ago.

I like them for jogging my memory as to what gear/weight I wore, what I saw on the dive, my dive profile(s) and any other incidental info I may have recored.

We do mostly liveaboards and tend to return to the same sites now and then. It's nice to have some of your own impressions of the site in addition to what they give you on the dive breifing.

'Slogger

#1 Keep track of different gear configurations.
#2 Mementos

I only have my dives in my Suunto....

Some people just like to, like a diary. For me, I would rather be talking to people on the boat, at happy hour, or sleeping. who really cares what the water temp was, on dive number 888? But some people like the stamps, the sigs, etc. Andy says he draws a schematic for the site, which makes sense. So, if people do GPS markings, little maps, that seems to have a useful purpose. When we get our boat, I can see doing it a bit because we will be exploring a bit and getting back to, and remembering things will be more important.

keep track of different gear and weight setups

keep track of depths and features of divesites i'll revisit

keep track of issues that have come up and fixes to them

memory jog for details about a dive a few years down the line

I haven't got that many dives yet, but I've already enjoyed looking back over my log and remembering this one or that one. Plus, recording the information about weighting and weight distribution for different exposure suits has been useful, since I've been places to dive in 3 mil, 5 mil, 5 mil with vest, and dry suit. The log recently came in useful, as well, when somebody asked how many dives I had on a BC I had offered to sell -- I was able to tell them exactly.

I keep mine, as others have mentioned, for gear questions. So, for example, I can look up how much weight I wore last time I was in such-and-such wetsuit/drysuit.

And it's useful when someone asks "just how #@(*%$# cold was it that day?" Locally, that seems to be the topic of an inordinate number of conversations.

What do you do if you dont keep logs and a dive op wants to see before they let you dive with them?

for me I pretty much dive the same gear, steel tanks 3 mil suit and I know how much weight to wear that comes in time I have about 60 dives so far and at this point know what weight configuration I will need. temperature is what it is either you want to dive or you don't. I have dove 59 degrees a few times in a 3 mil suit I guess temperature doesn't stop me. I rarely dive without a wetsuit as I hunt and find myself rubbing against the reef at times or wrecks. right now trying to get over an ear drum rupture so I wont be diving for a couple months or so.

Especially as a newer diver, I've been changing weights, configurations (steel vs. AL tanks), etc. The log books help me remember what configuration I used for what tank.

I also like looking back and remembering the great dives I've experienced thus far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom