Dive logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asia....My traditional paper log book is where I keep the most info. Like you, I keep a large amount of notes and comments about each dive. Going back through and reading my logbook can bring back a dive in detail....I'll never give that up.

The computer log gets entries as I get time to do it, just an extra insurance against loss, mainly.

Do whatever feels right to you. There's always more than one way to do something!

Hi Guys
Ive been diving since 1988 and way back then computers wern't a household item. However for the past three years I've started logging them on the PC and I've actually transfered everything over to an Excel spreadsheet. Its easy and as I use the PC every day no hassel whatsoever.

Hocky

Dee, more than one way to do something? GASP!

I believe our methods of logging are very similar. I keep the narrative in my traditional style log (although it is merely a lined record book for greater flexibility). I keep stats in an Excel spreadsheet (the red book was filled this past September so I transfered it all over). I also keep an internet log, but I use a different company http://www.diverecord.com I've seen at least one other person from this board on dive record, but his latest dive listed was back in April. He's either quit diving or hasn't updated his log.

DSSW,

WWW™

I use the traditional log book right after my dive and then enter it into the computer when I have the time. This method suits me best as if i dont update my log book after I dive i forget all the details about the dive. The software comes in handy when I want a legible copy of my dive book that I can use to put pictures in and other small details.

There are a number of dive log programs on the net. If you go to www.download.com and do a search for dive log software you will come up with a couple of results.

For me a traditional log book with original signatures is a must for diving or flying. And I wouldn’t expect anyone requiring verified experience to accept anything less. Although, I believe a computerized data base can be of assistance and provide additional enjoyment of the chosen activity, it cannot be a replacement for the paper.

Boy! I’m full of opinions today. It must have been the New Year’s Eve celebration. I’ll have to watch that in the future.

Miles.

as an ice-breaker! When i meet a diver i barely know for the first time or run out of things to say, i usually ask to read his/her log book. That's when you get some really nice stories - provided he's not a monosyllable kinda person) and trust me - even the most aloof person thaws when recalling their happiest dive moments.

I use both my lug around log book ( although not nearly as thick as Walters) and also IDL as does Dee. I do it for the same reason as Dee...I get some stats also fromt the web based log book. It will aslo accept downloads direct from my 'puter:cheer:

I only log new divesites . I think there is no real piont in logging all dives if one has dived one site for lots of times takig customers the only thing you bet is a logbook that looks like a divebag.

I have always used a "traditional" log book but I thought it would be more convenient and more organized to do it online. I started a site http://www.divelogs.com it is free for divers and I believe its organized better than other dive log sites that I have seen. It also gives you the ability add pictures to your logs. I am still waiting for more users to give me feedback so I can add new features and improve on it. Check it out if you get a chance, one of the nice things about logging dives online is the ability to browse through other divers logs.

Sierra

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom