Dive Master Candidate Journal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thought someone might be interested in my journey through my Divemaster training, so here goes:

Day 1

I had been wanting to take my Divemaster training for a while now, and had dreams of diving for free, or moving to somewhere tropical and instructing scantily clad coeds. First, though, I would need to complete my training, and then continue up the PADI professional career ladder. I hesitated to spend the money and time to sign up for the course, but eventually was won over by my instructor, who had an OW class coming up and would have me come out to assist.

After purchasing the divemaster book, PADI wheel, knowledge workbook, and eventually the Encyclopedia, I managed to read chapter one before meeting up at the dive shop on a hot saturday morning for a trip to Ginnie Spring for the first day of OW checkouts. I had learned from chapter 1 that DM would require a slight mindset change, that I would have to start acting like a role model, adhering to padi standards, and just generally being friendly and helpful, somethings many divers give up quickly. Nevertheless, I was up for a challenge, and so I started by talking to the students, and tryign to make sure they were having fun, and didnt have any concerns, then off to the dives we went.

Ginnie springs, as usual, was packed, and there were a few OW classes going on, and the myriad of divers that is always present. I helped some of the students to get their gear set up properly, and then, with direction from the instructor, waited in the water to keep an eye on the students until we were ready to go down. Once we had everyone in the water and ready to go, we did a fun dive and took a loop around the basin. Right away, due to some kickign up of the bottom, and the large amoutn of divers in the water, I lost track of who was who, but everyone managed to stay together and enjoy their first dive.

Next up we started the drills, with the instructor runnign the gammit from bouyancy drills to clearing your mask. I attempted to keep the students from wandering off or getting bored and pointed out some flounder that were keeping an eye on us. Everythign went smoothly, and so we broke for lunch, then headed down to the Devils cave system at Ginnie for the second dive. My role was to continue to pull up the rear and make sure no one got lost or in trouble. Like the first dive, everything went smoothly, and we ended the first day with no problems.

I'm going through the same thing. I have helped on several dives with Rick so far. It's always fun to watch the newbees.
Rick says I need to be more helpful and a little nicer to the students. I'm working on it.
If nothing else it's interesting.
Good luck Jon.

Sounds like a great first day!

We've got a few DMs in training here. I know that ScubaGuy62, BaitedStorm and I are in that category too.

I was in a hurry when I first started, and now that I've finished the tests, finished assisting in the classes, the mapping project, the rescue plan, etc., I've decided to slow down a bit and beef up my experience before finishing. I want to make sure that I'm really qualified to supervise fellow divers before I carry the rating.

Maybe this is a good place for us to post our reports of training events, to share the experience with each other.

Good luck, you guys.

Sounds good. For Day 2, we went to the Panama City Jetties, and I beefed up on my carrying gear and assisting divers skillz :). Then we jumped in the water and I went out to mark a spot divers could surface navigate to. Everyone did pretty well. After that, I headed to the deep side and marked a spot for the instructor to finish the drills. Viz was 10ft, with no current, which was nice, but the low viz made me keep a wary eye on the students. 2 were pretty confidant and so willing to play around, but everyone else was pretty attentive. I tried to keep them entertained with showing them a shrimp digging out its hole, while the instructor ran the drills.

After all this was done we took a tour down the rocks and gave them their first real dive. There was a nice thermocline at 15ft which dropped the temp 10degs, and I was only wearing shorts, which made for a chilly change. Everything went well though, and I was happy to not have to rescue anyone. One thing Ive learned is that I have to get back in the habit of doing things by the book, and perfecting the skills for demo purposes. Next up is more bookwork, and eventually some pool time and more class assistance.

This is a very cool idea for a thread, keep the reports coming, how many days do you think you will need to complete the program?

jviehe:
There was a nice thermocline at 15ft which dropped the temp 10degs, and I was only wearing shorts, which made for a chilly change. .

Yup, you want to watch out for that, I suggest you wear a little more wetsuit than you normally would as a recreational diver. As a DM, you are often first in, last out, and cannot afford to lose concentration, endurance, or strength due to cold. You are diving for others now, not just yourself.

If you feel overdressed, then you shold realize that long term exposure to cold water depresses the immune system, and will eventually make you sick and unable to dive. (good excuse when someone calls you a whimp or afraid of the cold too)

great thread, I would like to hear reports from other dm trainees on the board.

As you are finding out being the DM is alot of work! If diving for free is not having to pay the Captian $ then you can do that as a DM. However, it really ain't free, tons of sweat both above and below the water.

Listen to Cancun Mark about the exposure and immune system. Keep Warm.

Great writing! I am looking forward to day 3!

Regards!

Well, day 3 will be whenever the next class is. For now Im reading through the materials and learning to us the PADI wheel. Yippee, what a complex device. I miss my computer already. I think if I ever teach ill require students to have computers after they learn the tables.

cancun mark:
This is a very cool idea for a thread, keep the reports coming, how many days do you think you will need to complete the program?

Yup, you want to watch out for that, I suggest you wear a little more wetsuit than you normally would as a recreational diver. As a DM, you are often first in, last out, and cannot afford to lose concentration, endurance, or strength due to cold. You are diving for others now, not just yourself.

If you feel overdressed, then you shold realize that long term exposure to cold water depresses the immune system, and will eventually make you sick and unable to dive. (good excuse when someone calls you a whimp or afraid of the cold too)

great thread, I would like to hear reports from other dm trainees on the board.

I think you made a very good point here. Once you move from recreational to professional you are "REQUIRED" to watch out for everyone. It amazes me recently how instructors on recreational dives forget this concept. Not only are you morally bound but you bet your hiney that you will be the first one named in a lawsuit!

Very interesting. I am enjoying reading all about your adventures. It's great to get a different perspective. One thing I've noticed recently is that a lot of divers here in Florida (I'm a recent transplant) aren't as aware of their buddies. I think that's a big challenge for new DMs. It's great that you are learning to recognize what a challenge becoming a DM actually is. It's much more than diving. You seem to be on a good start to becoming a professional.

This is a great thread folks. I am just getting ready for Rescue and then onto my DM probably next summer, I really like getting a feel for what's coming.
Charles

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom