Dive Master in training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of comments...

Zept once bubbled...
I have almost finished the training and internship for the PADI DM course.

The thing I have found hardest to get my head round is the degree to which you have to manage both student and newly certified divers. For example, we train in very poor vis (1-2m). If I don't tell my divers to hold the rope all the way to the bottom and keep holding it when they get there, they let go and disappear and I have to go back up and find them. Gngh. Nothing is obvious to new divers, you've got to tell them what to do... but without offending them.

It's important for them to learn to descend before going to open water. On the first two dives I instruct my students to stay close enough to the line so they can use it if they need it but the plan is to not need it. When they near the bottom they stop and hover. I don't have to look for any one but yes I must still watch closely.
Get used to diving with a lot of extra weight, or not enough. If you carry extra weights, your divers won't need them. If you don't, they will. And when you think you've finally got everyone sorted out, someone will float off to the top.

NO I dive correctly weighted. How can you set an example for students if your incorrectly weighted. We check weighting and trim at the beginning of the dive. I have extra weights in the float or on shore nearby if needed. Once every one is squared away there's no need for me to wear extra weights of giva away any of mine and dive underweighted.

Jetwrench once bubbled...
As a DM candidate, I am curios to hear of any suggestions or comments from the more experienced divers on this board as to what to expect and what are the most important subjects/skills/activities that you feel I should prepare for or concentrate on. Also, I guess, just what I can expect in the near future during my training. Take in to account, IMO, I have a "quality" instructor. This should be good!

Jetwrench

Dive Safe, Dive Often

Pretty much everything has already been covered quite well here (as usual.) The most important thing to remember is to have PATIENCE. New divers are like babies learning to walk and each person learns differently and at their own pace. Remember to always show the students respect no matter their age, occupation etc. Don't tell anyone "If you keep this up you're going to f**king DIE!" as we had one DM do. That did not go over too well.

Good luck and have fun!

Jetwrench once bubbled...
Jetwrench (can you quess my primary vocation?)

Ahh....lets see. A&P maybe. :D Me too, I work Line Maintenance for Delta.

Good luck with the DM class.

Scott

Learn the difference between opinions and facts, and if you aren't sure, say so or keep quiet. And for pete's sake learn how to use ALL the gear properly. I recently borrowed a DM who didn't know how to thread or use a cam buckle properly!
Neil

All of the above points are excellent, and I'm just going to add my two cents.

The shop I did my DM at constantly had 3-5 DMs in the pool and 4-6 DMs on checkout dives. It sounds a lot better than it was. One of the biggest things I noticed in these scenarios was that there were DMs who take control, and there are passive DMs. I know that it takes all types, but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS realize that when you are with students, you are a LEADER. Not only should you dress, speak, and behave professionally, but you need to realize that students are looking up to you, whether or not you realize it. You need to realize what it is a particular student needs - do they need gentle encouragement or do they need a kick in the a**, and you need to act on what you think of your own volition. A DM who is simply timid and waits for the Instructor to bark instructions at them adds no more value than having someone who is not a certified assistant along on the check out dives. Be assertive. Point out things the students did well, and things they could improve on. Pay them attention when the Instructor is talking to or working with someone else. It's the little things that make the difference, and determine if someone has a good experience and falls in love with diving, or is another one of those who gets certified and you never see them again.

As far as the actual course requirements go, develop all of your skills so that you do them as well or better than the instructor, and spend some time before you are in the pool thinking about the best way to handle the equipment exchange...

Great question and a lot of informative answers. I like to be as prepared as I can for training. But looking at the remarks from instructors regarding what DM mistakes or pitfalls is something all DM candidates should know and watch out for. That type of training you can't get in a book. Hopefully there will be continued posts on this thread.

That's not just being able to perform the skill, but to so by breaking it down into a slow, section-by-section demonstration that a newbie can follow and understand.
Is there anyplace in the manuals that the skills are broken down "section-by-section"? I couldn't find it, nor could my instructor.

A DM who is simply timid and waits for the Instructor to bark instructions at them adds no more value than having someone who is not a certified assistant along on the check out dives. Be assertive. Point out things the students did well, and things they could improve on. Pay them attention when the Instructor is talking to or working with someone else. It's the little things that make the difference, and determine if someone has a good experience and falls in love with diving, or is another one of those who gets certified and you never see them again.
In general, I agree with this statement. However, there are instructors that DON'T want an active DM. I've had instructors that every time I took some iniative, they told me NOT to do that, they had to do it. Now before you assume that I was in fact doing things I shouldn't, here's a couple examples: I gave a student some additional weight in the pool. A student was talking about diving deep. I told them that they would only be trained to go to 18M with PADI OW.

Talk to the instructor before a course and find out what they want.

myron once bubbled...
Is there anyplace in the manuals that the skills are broken down "section-by-section"? I couldn't find it, nor could my instructor.
In general, I agree with this statement. However, there are instructors that DON'T want an active DM. I've had instructors that every time I took some iniative, they told me NOT to do that, they had to do it. Now before you assume that I was in fact doing things I shouldn't, here's a couple examples: I gave a student some additional weight in the pool. A student was talking about diving deep. I told them that they would only be trained to go to 18M with PADI OW.
Talk to the instructor before a course and find out what they want.

Part of the skill and art of instructing is to be able to break the skill down to simple component parts. You won't find that in any book I know of, you have to figure it out. It's not that difficult. Ask any instructor here the steps for a particular skill, and I bet you'll get similar answers. Fewer steps the better.

To your other point: some instructors do not use assistants well, IMO, and end up having them be nothing but watchdogs and tank haulers. I think that's a waste of talent and time. And yes, talk to the instructor and find out exactly what they expect of you.
When in doubt, the following phrase should come out of your mouth: "let's go ask the instructor what to do". Easy.
Neil

myron once bubbled...

Believe it or not, there is some room for interpretation -just because the manual stipulates what skills need to be taught does not mean that you cannot break it down into steps for the students. Specifically, I mentioned this in terms of demonstrating skills in confined water for the students - for example, demonstrating removing and replacing the weight belt, I hold up a finger for "Step One" and dump the air from my BCD. Once that is done, I hold up 2 fingers for "Step Two" and undo the buckle, etc. If the students see it broken down into component steps, they tend to retain it better in my experience.

In general, I agree with this statement. However, there are instructors that DON'T want an active DM. I've had instructors that every time I took some iniative, they told me NOT to do that, they had to do it. Now before you assume that I was in fact doing things I shouldn't, here's a couple examples: I gave a student some additional weight in the pool. A student was talking about diving deep. I told them that they would only be trained to go to 18M with PADI OW.[/B]

My two cents on this - it's a lot like working in the real world - if a manager (Instructor) does not know how to use his resources effectively, then, for me at least, it is time to seek out a different job / different manager. There are Instructors for whom I refuse to DM. Nothing personal, it's just a clash of personality and styles. It is a DM's responsibility to have "Instructor level knowledge," and to me, that means not only knowledge of dive theory and the ability to demonstrate skills, but also in managing the students. Seeing things from many perspectives can only help a student, and an Instructor who is too insecure to deal with an assertive and confident DM is not an Instructor with whom I would choose to DM. Again, and as I said in my original post, this is only my two cents, but for me, an overly restrective Instructor sucks the fun out of diving. I'd rather go log some dives than work with an Instructor who expects DMs and AIs to simply be his lackeys.

I'll be Dive Mastered tomorrow!! I'll get my application and send it to Padi.

I think my best skills are: organization, attention and happyness
my weaknesses are: patience, rules respect and experience

ciao

Back
Top Bottom