Dive Master in training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am a DM candidate ( will finish up this weekend) and so far the worst for me has been the stamina parts.

The 800 yard swim with mask fins and snorkel was tough and I had to do the tired diver tow in the deep end of a pool and it was tough to make all the turns and meet the time.

I had little trouble with the book work and testing. I studied hard and was ready for the tests.

I don't use the wheel in every day diving so I had to study that to be ready for the exams.

There are no major obstacles to overcome, just some hurdles to jump over.

Good Luck.

Jetwrench once bubbled...
As a DM candidate, I am curios to hear of any suggestions or comments from the more experienced divers on this board as to what to expect and what are the most important subjects/skills/activities that you feel I should prepare for or concentrate on.

From a slightly different perspective. Remember who the students are. On a number of occasions I've been diving in the same area as a group class, and invariably, a DM or some other group leader came over to "help" me. Usualy it's a simple matter of confusion, and once I explain I'm not with the class, everything is cool. Twice, though, I've had them continue on with their, help, once to the point of me having to tell the guy to get lost.

Also, if you're going to be a working DM on a boat, it's good to know the local customs. Up here, DM's rarely get in the water, and are more helpers than anything. Fill tanks, move gear, quick check, etc. This is pretty different from tropical DMs, who do in water dive tours and other things of that nature.

So, to sum up: Don't be annoying, and know your customer.

>>Remember who the students are<<

From the DM's perspective, that reminds me of an important lesson I learnt. Sometimes there will be people diving in the same area, or even someone's brother who wants to tag along with the class, or some diver who just decides to follow along. I had one of those who had arranged it with the instructor but never told me, caused me endless confusions underwater - one extra 'student' with no buddy - he looked very similar to another student underwater.

If there's someone hanging around your group or diving close by, just clarify with them beforehand if they know someone in the class etc. Even just by talking to them, you'll recognise them underwater better and are less likely to mistake them for a student and spend time trying to supervise them. Explain to them the reasoning if you like. It can be a serious distraction from students who really need attention.

Think about how many other groups of divers/students are going to be in the water, diving the same route and crossing eachother's paths. I've had students go off and follow the wrong group - often they don't recognise their own group or even buddy. Once they get mixed up with other students it can be hard to keep track of them. Especially AOW classes at night :rolleyes: it's even worth arranging to have different color glo sticks or something.

annie once bubbled...
Sometimes there will be people diving in the same area, or even someone's brother who wants to tag along with the class, or some diver who just decides to follow along.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to tag along an OW class. "Hey vis sux!"

But I know what you're saying. I often go with friends who are teaching a class, just because there is space on the boat. I always make sure I'm the first or one of the first off, and I don't think I've ever crossed the class while under water.

Davey Diverson once bubbled...

I can't imagine why anyone would want to tag along an OW class. "Hey vis sux!"

Only if the instructor sux

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Only if the instructor sux

Uh, right.

All OW students have perfect bouyancy, and never crash the bottom. No OW class ever places students on a line on the bottom so they can do drills. No class ever regroups on the bottom.

That never happens.

Uh, right.

All OW students have perfect bouyancy, and never crash the bottom. No OW class ever places students on a line on the bottom so they can do drills. No class ever regroups on the bottom.

That never happens.

It doesn't take perfect buoyancy control to stay off the bottom. Sitting on the bottom to do skills is a wast of time and proves nothing. If my students are crashing the bottom in the pool they don't go to OW. If they can't do simple skills off the bottom they don't go to OW.

My classes stay off the bottom and so should every one elses. Our dive sites would be far nicer places if the recreational dive industry would get this sitting on the bottom crap out of their heads.

Do the environment and other divers a big favor and keep your students off the bottom.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

It doesn't take perfect buoyancy control to stay off the bottom.

Given that, it is inevitable that those with imperfect skills will hit the bottom at some point. Students are a good example of this.

Sitting on the bottom to do skills is a wast of time and proves nothing.

Is it not a requirement of your agency that students demonstrate skills in an open water environment? Clearing a flooded mask in 65 degree pool water is quite different than clearing a flooded mask in 45 degree seawater.

If my students are crashing the bottom in the pool they don't go to OW. If they can't do simple skills off the bottom they don't go to OW.

The pool is not open water. And not crashing in the pool doesn't guarantee they won't crash in OW.

Do the environment and other divers a big favor and keep your students off the bottom.

I agree with your sentiment, but it won't happen. It is the nature of new divers to have imperfect control. That's why they're new.

I agree with your sentiment, but it won't happen. It is the nature of new divers to have imperfect control. That's why they're new.

You are 100% correct b/c there are all too many Instructors & DMs out there witht that attitude. Students can be taught to stay off the bottom...it is possible...it just isn't taught by everyone.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

You are 100% correct b/c there are all too many Instructors & DMs out there witht that attitude. Students can be taught to stay off the bottom...it is possible...it just isn't taught by everyone.

Wow! I never realized that there were instructors out there that put out graduates that were absolutely perfect. What do you teach them in their AOW?

No student is going to have perfect boyancy control, regardless of how good the instructor is. Bouyancy is something mastered through practice, not instruction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom