Dive Medicals

Should dive medicals be mandatory?

• Yes

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 60 87.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No.

No no.

No no NO.

Nope.

Virtue signaling measure in real terms with no appreciable return WRT safety for the general population. If VIPs created the perception of a money grab (to which I don't subscribe) when it only impacts cylinder owners, think about the outcry for a far more expensive recurrent requirement hung around the neck of ALL divers.

That 90-year-old in front of me doing 45 in the passing lane. Turning left out of the right-hand lane. Culling those kinds of drivers would significantly improve safety for a much much larger population. They did a driver test 65 years back and yet we don't require new approval to drive (or make them drive with a licensed driver over 18 years of age in the front seat (presumably supervising)if they fail the new driver test).

Some things like scuba DO NOT need to be regulated to death.

If I am destined to die of a massive internal fart (heart attack), I'd kind of like it to be on a good dive, in bed with a really hot 20-something female, back on the ground after setting the brakes after a great flight, or maybe on the firing range. Not in a nursing home wheel chair with drool on my bib and a fully loaded diaper.
Fine. I'm offering a low effort alternative to required medical exams. 30 minutes for a swim test and mask clear every 5 years doesn't seem like that large an imposition. And it would be within the current system of self-regulation. No need for the state/State to run it. So you can ignore it if you want just like you can dive now without any certs if you have your own gear and somewhere to fill your tank.

BTW, most jurisdictions I'm familiar with now do require some sort of recurring competence check for drivers once they reach a certain age. And many offer a way to report apparently impaired older drivers which will trigger a competence check.

Fine. I'm offering a low effort alternative to required medical exams. 30 minutes for a swim test and mask clear every 5 years doesn't seem like that large an imposition. And it would be within the current system of self-regulation. No need for the state/State to run it. So you can ignore it if you want just like you can dive now without any certs if you have your own gear and somewhere to fill your tank.

BTW, most jurisdictions I'm familiar with now do require some sort of recurring competence check for drivers once they reach a certain age. And many offer a way to report apparently impaired older drivers which will trigger a competence check.
This is also a no.

No. How do you diagnose a heart attack or a stroke that may happen on a dive but may not happen on a drive back from the clinic?

I do not support the idea of a blanket requirement.

The existing RSTC form is useful to me in this way: I answer yes to prescription meds and I am 75 years old so that requires a clinician's sign off. I had to have the form in the recent past to take GUE fundamentals, and the signed form was required on a liveaboard in Red Sea last year. Even at 75 I am not routinely asked for the form, but I have a copy just in case.

I see a cardiologist who is an active diver / rebreather instructor / UHMS, every two years or so to get an update, discuss any changes in my health since the last visit wrt diving, and provide a newer signature on the form. As others have mentioned, I asked my PCP to sign the form once a few years ago and he, without any interview or discussion with me, signed that I should NOT dive.

Can you give examples of either if these assertions?

This is also a no.
Just a thought exercise. In the somewhat unlikely event they make me World Recreational Diver Czar, I promise not to enact this without full stakeholder consultation. May I pencil you in for Committee Sub-Chair? Meetings will necessarily be held at potentially affected locations such as Raja Ampat or the Maldives during whale shark season.

A driver could plow into a bus stop full of little old ladies, an airplane pilot could crash a planeful of kittens into a kennel full of puppies, and a boat captain could sail into a vitally important bridge. You can argue that checking them is necessary to protect the others.

As a thought exercise, what would be the purpose of the diver competence check?

Although we have to renew our driving licence every 3 years from age 70, there is no medical requirement. Medical practitioners are required to report individuals at any age if they have or develop certain medical conditions.

Can you give examples of either if these assertions?

USA (varies by state)

UK

Oz (varies by state)

Although we have to renew our driving licence every 3 years from age 70, there is no medical requirement. Medical practitioners are required to report individuals at any age if they have or develop certain medical conditions.
I said "competence check", not medical exam. These are typically in the form of vision and hearing tests, written tests, and/or road tests.

Back
Top Bottom