dive near sunset beach NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are considering a trip with friends to sunset beach NC. We have been diving a few years, but have few dives in, all in Mexico. Can anyone recommend a dive op and/or sites near sunset beach that would be within our skill level (so preferably NOT a huge cattle boat... I don't know if they even do those around there... ) thanks

Amy, if you haven't been to Sunset Beach before, you're in for a treat. IMHO, it's one of the best spots on the NC coast!

Your closest options are Coastal Scuba in Little River:

Home

Coastal uses a marina in Little River that is about a 15-20 minute drive from Sunset. Their boat is a little rough around the edges, but the crew is friendly and helpful, I don't know what the capacity of the boat is, but I would imagine it's less than twenty.

And Scuba South in Southport:

index

I haven't been out with Scuba South (we're going this weekend to the City of Houston with them). They are located in Southport, about a 35-40 minute drive from Sunset. Southport is worth a side trip in an of itself, if you like little fishing villages.

Probably your best bet is Aquatic Safaris in Wilmington:

Aquatic Safaris, North Carolina Wreck Diving

They run two different size boats, plan on about an hour's drive from Sunset to be safe, but it will probably take less than that.

If a longer drive (hour and a half plus) doesn't put you off, there is Scuba Express in Murrell's Inlet, south of Myrtle Beach, they're another quality outfit with a newish (but larger) boat. They took very good care of us when we went out with them to the City of Richmond. Their website is:

Express Water Sports - Scuba Dive, Parasail, Kayak & Ocean Sightseeing Dolphin Watch And jet skis in Myrtle Beach South Carolina - Home

Hope this helps,

Backscatter covered the options well. I drive from Ocean Isle (next to Sunset) up to Aquatic Safaris in Wilmington most of the time. I would consider sites like the Stone Tug, Dredge Wreck, Hyde, and Markham. The Hyde and Markham will be dives to remember if you enjoy seeing sharks (Sand Tigers).

Wilmington North Carolina Diving has more on the wrecks visited by Wilmington ops.

Rich

I especially like the Hyde, I been to it three times and would go back in a heartbeat. Shark encounters each time, superstructure open from the top, neat swim throughs (or just look throughs), and its intact and sitting upright for easy navigation.

Back
Top Bottom