Dive Op Self Defense

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo:
I believe they have what is called a 'log book' which should be stamped and initialed by the dive shops and DM where and when one dives.
Although I keep a log book ...

- It has no stamps and initials ... we don't do DM-guided dives in Puget Sound.
- Log books ... even stamps and initials ... can be faked.
- I have never had a dive op ask to see my log book.

Log books are really for your personal benefit. Many experienced divers stop maintaining one after a while ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Rick Inman:
I like watching the other divers setting up their gear. :eyebrow:

And again I remember the DM who want to set up the gear for me (don't like that because than I have to check everything again twice) and tried for maybe 2 minutes to screw my DIN first stage into a Yoke valve. Than he asked the instructor how to screw it in.......

During the dive reservation process, we ask certification agency and level (NAUI Scuba Diver, PADI Open Water, etc). We ask how many dives they have done. We ask how long it has been since their last dive. If they haven't done a lot of dives, or if it's been a while since they've been diving...we recommend a refresher. How strongly we recommend the refresher depends on the combination of # of dives and how long it's been.

Someone who has done 20 dives a year ago is encouraged more than someone who has 200 dives and was diving a year ago.

The crew on the boat keeps and eye and ear open for signs that a diver is nervous. They also talk to divers on the way to the site...that reveals quite a bit.

We try to group people according to experience so we can dive within the appropriate levels.

Yes, we have been surprised by very experienced divers freaking out.....as well as very new divers who were exceptionally competent.

And, yes, we have had people lie about their experience...but it's quite rare. If you have never been sky diving....would you say, "yeah, I've done this a hundred times,. just hand me the parachute and get out of the way"?!

Thats exactly what I get asked every time.....
What C card?
how many dives?
When the last time?

That seems pretty much standard....

cuddlefish:
During the dive reservation process, we ask certification agency and level (NAUI Scuba Diver, PADI Open Water, etc). We ask how many dives they have done. We ask how long it has been since their last dive. If they haven't done a lot of dives, or if it's been a while since they've been diving...we recommend a refresher. How strongly we recommend the refresher depends on the combination of # of dives and how long it's been.

Someone who has done 20 dives a year ago is encouraged more than someone who has 200 dives and was diving a year ago.

The crew on the boat keeps and eye and ear open for signs that a diver is nervous. They also talk to divers on the way to the site...that reveals quite a bit.

We try to group people according to experience so we can dive within the appropriate levels.

Yes, we have been surprised by very experienced divers freaking out.....as well as very new divers who were exceptionally competent.

And, yes, we have had people lie about their experience...but it's quite rare. If you have never been sky diving....would you say, "yeah, I've done this a hundred times,. just hand me the parachute and get out of the way"?!

Attitude...yes, all mentioned before are quality questions and information, I've had more positive experiences by evaluating the potential diver attitude. Warning signs of sure I can do x depth time on this little tank of air...that ain't cold water, let me tell ya about cold, just got this gear, great stuff! How this gets communicated, IE, attitude of sharing this information.

Rare, but have said not today to some, most are OK with scaled down experience, to sort of earn future experiences.

Positive signs/questions like, "I've done some diving around here, but would really like to learn more", "Here for a long weekend, hope to get several dives in, when you see my bubbles a little early on this dive, just me wanting to make sure I can do more dives later today", I like stuff like this.

Attitude may not be all, but with right attitude all may be in reach!

Hoa!

On a trip last year, the resort owner came by as my son and I were gearing up for a shore dive on our first morning. They have a policy of requiring new or inexperienced guests to take a short "skills demo" dive prior to going off alone. She quickley sized us up by asking how much weight we wore. (The minute she asked the question I knew what she was doing, but there is no way out of that one). We passed, no "skills dive" necessary, but I thought it was a great question. - Chris

C-cards are the universally accepted standard. Augmenting that standard may prevent some problems but may also introduce additional liability considerations. It seems to me that once you start augmenting qualifications, you need to be prepared to defend against a challenge that your augmentations were insufficient for the dives you are offering.

awap:
C-cards are the universally accepted standard. Augmenting that standard may prevent some problems but may also introduce additional liability considerations. It seems to me that once you start augmenting qualifications, you need to be prepared to defend against a challenge that your augmentations were insufficient for the dives you are offering.

might also screw down the requirements for OW, if you anyway need another test first.

C Chris:
On a trip last year, the resort owner came by as my son and I were gearing up for a shore dive on our first morning. They have a policy of requiring new or inexperienced guests to take a short "skills demo" dive prior to going off alone. She quickley sized us up by asking how much weight we wore. (The minute she asked the question I knew what she was doing, but there is no way out of that one). We passed, no "skills dive" necessary, but I thought it was a great question. - Chris
Yeah, that's a good one too... weighting. This was at Coco-view?

awap:
I think that it works the other way around, and that the first requirement is that the diver be certified to the level required to do the dive, and trhen additionally dive ops want to see that they have some recent proficiency with similar dives, and that there are no red flags popping up in the "this guy is competent" department.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom