Dive Operator Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a dive operator in cozumel for my first trip there. I'm a new diver but will have AOW and nitrox certs by my trip date. I have my own equipment including an air integrated computer.

I'm looking for:
-dive operators that know where to go to see the good stuff
-ability to do 3-4 dives a day at the best price
-ability to use dive computer for increased bottom time

So far I found diveparadise.com and they seem pretty good from their website. They charge $58 for a two tank morning + $15 for the afternoon dive and $35 for night dives. Their packages seem to be good too.

Any other suggestions?

bober99:
I'm looking for:
You just described about 20 different Cozumel dive operators.

Where are you staying? That might make a difference with wich shop you choose if you want things like free shore dives, etc. An in house op is always easier if they are good.

I've had excellent results with Blue Angel. I've also heard good things about Blue XT Sea (our very own Christi) and Papa Hogs.

James

I really don't want to ignite the pro-con Aldora thread again, but last I looked, they were charging $87 for a two tank trip, while many other perfectly good dive ops (e.g., Blue Angel and Cozumel Equalizers) charge $50-55, which is, in my book, more than a little more expensive. Bigger tanks only help if you don't get close to deco on an AL80 (I usually can), and I don't want to leave my stuff on their boat because I am frequently shore diving in the afternoons. Their extra features don't add up to justify the price diff for me.

Of course YMMV.

We dive with Black Shark.

http:\\www.blackshark.net

They have fast 6-packs and you get individual attention.
Discounts for multiple dives/days.
We average $27 per tank.
They also offer a 3-tank dive that includes lunch.

Black Shark doesn't have many of the extra perks that some of the shops offer, but we just want to go diving, not have a buffet, etc.

We've dove with three operations in COZ: Dive Paradise, Dive Palancar and Aldora.

Dive Paradise was the first op we used on our first trip. The boats tended to have more divers than the other two (more like 12-15+ per boat). The DMs were friendly and capable. The dives were generally pretty short, in the 35-45 mins range without regard for air left in tank. Because of the shorter dives I liked having the option of 3+ dives from them.

The next trip we stayed at the Allegro and used their in-house operation - Dive Palancar. These DMs gave the least attention to the divers - so depending on what you are looking for that might be good or bad. Dives here also tended to be in the 45 min range, but as I recall you could reasonably expect to do up to four per day (they are all single tank trips from the Allegro).

A couple of years/trips ago we tried Aldora, and have used them ever since. They do charge more than some, but we love the DMs and the office staff. We are never left wondering if they are going to show up at the dock, and the service and attention to detail are worth it for us. They are there offering help if you want it, and otherwise letting you do your dive. Dives are consistantly 1 hour plus plenty, and after two per day I'm seldom wishing for more bottom time. As a last note on the price difference: we've done the math and the price per minute of bottom time between the ops we've used actually has come out in Aldora's favor.

I'm know they aren't the only op offering big tanks and computer profiles, but we sure would recommend them among that style of operator.

Not having used them I am unable to make a personal recommendation, but Dive with Martin seems to be the low priced leader as far as cost per dive goes.

familydiver:
As a last note on the price difference: we've done the math and the price per minute of bottom time between the ops we've used actually has come out in Aldora's favor.

For you, maybe, and that's great. I usually come up solidly in the yellow on an AL80, so more gas would only buy me a longer safety stop. That doesn't count as bottom time for me on most dives (Palancar Horseshoe being the exception). Also I have heard at least two accounts of DCS incidents where larger tanks were considered to be a contributing factor.

Also, when you did the math, you were comparing them to two ops who are pretty widely known as being conservative, so I guess I'm not surprised. If you had compared them to someone like Blue Angel who lets you dive your computer after they check you out, your results might have been different.

I also don't much care for Dave's attitude as exhibited by his recent post to another forum (which was quickly pulled) where he openly slammed his competition and whined that they were "stealing" his business model.

Dive Paradise was the operation that bober99 referenced as his starting point for this thread, so I figured the direct comparison between them and the other operations I've used would be worth adding to the discussion.

Of those three, Aldora fits me the best. In saying that and recommending them I in no way disparage (or for that matter say anything at all about) other similar operations.

Just to make things more confusing for you here's my 2 pesos, I just used Dive with Martin over labor day week, we had a great experiance with them, the DM's were very good. Most of us were Cozumel vets so we had already been to a lot of the dive sites so the DM's made suggestions a and we all went with them as they really know what are the best places for that time of year.
DWM excepts only cash but his prices are the cheapest I've found on the island, my wife and I dove for 6 days, 2 tank dives each day and with a 10% discount I think our bill was around $475! plus we got a free night dive and a free video out of it.
Good DM'S, good prices, 8 or less to a boat, they have nitrox and magnum tanks I do believe. visit his website www.divewithmartin.com for more info, if you e-mail him he'll get right back to you.
have a great trip and happy diving!

bober99:
I'm looking for a dive operator in cozumel for my first trip there. I'm a new diver but will have AOW and nitrox certs by my trip date. I have my own equipment including an air integrated computer.

I'm looking for:

So far I found diveparadise.com and they seem pretty good from their website. They charge $58 for a two tank morning + $15 for the afternoon dive and $35 for night dives. Their packages seem to be good too.

Any other suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom