Dive Operator Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You put it on, hop your butt onto the gunwale
Ooh, that sounds like work. Put my gear on, then hop? If I want to lift gear I'll go shore diving. :)

That said, I have yet to ever experience a dive op that will put the mask on my head for me.
You're right. They didn't do that. I bet they would have if I asked.

Thanks for explaining how your op does it. It is interesting to hear how different ops function.
LU is out of my price range (especially since I need gear), though they sound like a fabulous operation.

Ooh, that sounds like work. Put my gear on, then hop? If I want to lift gear I'll go shore diving. :)

You could just have them inflate your BC and throw your kit in the water, then you can jump in and put it on there. Then you would never feel the weight of it. Since that is not safe for most, then next best is the back roll right behind where your tank was sitting--one step up *and the crew can lift the kit for you) and then you just fall in.

LU is out of my price range (especially since I need gear), though they sound like a fabulous operation.
If you don't like dives longer than 50 minutes and don't have a wetsuit that needs rinsing or a camera that needs soaking in a big tank, there's no need to pony up the extra $$. LU fits all of my needs perfectly and I find the cost worth the extra perks and extra bottom time. That Jeremy is the best guide I've ever followed is only a bonus.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 08:03 AM ----------

You could just have them inflate your BC and throw your kit in the water, then you can jump in and put it on there. Then you would never feel the weight of it. Since that is not safe for most, then next best is the back roll right behind where your tank was sitting--one step up *and the crew can lift the kit for you) and then you just fall in.
Just curious, why is donning one's gear in water not safe for most? Are you implying that most divers cannot tread water without a BC to keep them afloat?

Just curious, why is donning one's gear in water not safe for most? Are you implying that most divers cannot tread water without a BC to keep them afloat?

Well, if your BC is not weight integrated and you are wearing a weight belt, just getting to your floating BC before you sink like a rock might be a problem. You might only have one chance to grab it on your way down.

Well, if your BC is not weight integrated and you are wearing a weight belt, just getting to your floating BC before you sink like a rock might be a problem. You might only have one chance to grab it on your way down.

Can't you just have the crew hand you your weight belt after the BC is on?
Or work on your swimming so that you can swim against the weights (which is probably not a bad idea... I mean, if you can't swim against a 20 pound (well, mine is only 12-14...) weight belt, could you help save your buddy on the surface if they needed it and for some reason your BC failed?)

Snorkelers wear weighted belts all the time, and they don't get dragged helpless to the bottom.

Ummmm - that's why the weight belt is the last thing put on and the first thing removed if applicable.

There's another good reason to be diving steel tanks and minimize the weight on the belt.

But you're right. I haven't worn a weight belt in so long, I forgot all about that old-style gear :)

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 09:40 AM ----------

I mean, if you can't swim against a 20 pound (well, mine is only 12-14...) weight belt, could you help save your buddy on the surface if they needed it and for some reason your BC failed?)
Hopefully it's a rare case to have a buddy failure and a BC failure at the same time. In that case, I'd recommend ditching your own weight belt to save your buddy. Unless of course they're your own personal weights and you don't care too much for your buddy.

Hopefully it's a rare case to have a buddy failure and a BC failure at the same time. In that case, I'd recommend ditching your own weight belt to save your buddy. Unless of course they're your own personal weights and you don't care too much for your buddy.
well, yeah- anytime I had to save my buddy I think my weights are getting ditched. But HE still weighs 160 pounds. So it seems like the weight belt would be easier to deal with than he is...
I know some people don't think scuba divers need to be able to swim well, but I really think you should be able to tread with 20 pounds on. It really isn't much to ask. Wearing it on your waist isn't nearly as hard as treading holding it over your head, I don't think I could do that with more than 10 pounds.

I do like a weight belt though. I did my training in a weight integrated BC, and it was SO hard to doff/don underwater because I float like crazy. And it might have just been coincidence with the gear I got, but the non-weight integrated BC seemed to fit a lot better too.

I know some people don't think scuba divers need to be able to swim well, but I really think you should be able to tread with 20 pounds on. It really isn't much to ask. Wearing it on your waist isn't nearly as hard as treading holding it over your head, I don't think I could do that with more than 10 pounds.
If you have your fins on. When I'm wearing my booties, I find treading water without using my hands quite troublesome. Barefoot, I'm fine since I have big feet.

I do like a weight belt though. I did my training in a weight integrated BC, and it was SO hard to doff/don underwater because I float like crazy. And it might have just been coincidence with the gear I got, but the non-weight integrated BC seemed to fit a lot better too.
Underwater, grab the BC first to weight you down, then put reg in mouth and breath easy while you don the BC.

As for fit, there are a tremendous number of weight-integrated BCs on the market. I'm pretty sure you could find one that fits as well as any non-WI BC.

Underwater, grab the BC first to weight you down, then put reg in mouth and breath easy while you don the BC.
You know, you'd think this would work, but, probably due to inexperience, I really end up more like a cirque du soleil show. My feet float up like crazy, and trying to get the BC on I flip all around. However, since my reg is in my mouth- no big deal, it's just funny to watch.

If you have your fins on. When I'm wearing my booties, I find treading water without using my hands quite troublesome. Barefoot, I'm fine since I have big feet.
Hmm, I haven't tried treading with booties only. I guess I could kick them off. Or, if I'm wearing my booties, I'm probably wearing my wetsuit, so that adds some help against the weight anyway. But I'm figuring you can use your hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom