Dive Operator Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could just have them inflate your BC and throw your kit in the water, then you can jump in and put it on there. Then you would never feel the weight of it. Since that is not safe for most, then next best is the back roll right behind where your tank was sitting--one step up *and the crew can lift the kit for you) and then you just fall in.

That implies you dive off a little tiny panga boat. How quaint. I like small group, fastest boat, room and shade. :)

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 02:31 PM ----------

Well, if your BC is not weight integrated and you are wearing a weight belt, just getting to your floating BC before you sink like a rock might be a problem. You might only have one chance to grab it on your way down.

I was content to chuckle heartily and let this simply pass. Good one.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 02:36 PM ----------

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, you'd think this would work, but, probably due to inexperience, I really end up more like a cirque du soleil show. My feet float up like crazy, and trying to get the BC on I flip all around. However, since my reg is in my mouth- no big deal, it's just funny to watch.
It's a silly skill in my opinion, so it should be funny to watch. How often has your BC fallen off underwater and you needed to put it back on? OK, maybe you're still a new diver. But it hasn't happened to me either after going on 15 years and 668 dives.

But, should you ever have to do it in a pool, here's a technique that I learned in DM class: Grab the BC to hold you down, put reg in mouth and breathe. At that point, get the BC on your lap and sit on the pool bottom, holding the BC so the top of it is facing you with the tank under it. Put arms in straps and flip the whole thing over your head. Connect straps, tighten, done. It looks very elegant with practice.

Hmm, I haven't tried treading with booties only. I guess I could kick them off. Or, if I'm wearing my booties, I'm probably wearing my wetsuit, so that adds some help against the weight anyway. But I'm figuring you can use your hands.
You can't use your hands if you're holding onto your dying buddy. What if your buddy's BC also malfunctions?

This is one reason to dive with a fat buddy. The other reason is that the sharks will go after him first.

You can't use your hands if you're holding onto your dying buddy.
Oh, I forgot about the dying buddy I introduced to the situation. I'll have to grab my booties and practice treading in them. Really though, my buddy is screwed if I have to take him somewhere. I can tread forever (ish), but I rarely can make progress swimming against the waves.

At that point, get the BC on your lap and sit on the pool bottom, holding the BC so the top of it is facing you with the tank under it. Put arms in straps and flip the whole thing over your head. Connect straps, tighten, done. It looks very elegant with practice.
We had to do it in the water column. On the pool bottom (assuming I could have made my floaty self get to it) would have been easier.

How often has your BC fallen off underwater and you needed to put it back on?
:)
I did see a DM take hers of to get her lionfish spear-thing out of it. She had it off and on so fast it wasn't funny. But she was wearing a weight belt.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom