Dive ops: pimping vs legitimate info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Ops are reviewed by customers here all the time.
...and most of it is cheerleading or axe grinding.

Well, that's about it. We've come full circle now. Move along, folks; there's nothing more to see here... :D

...and most of it is cheerleading or axe grinding.

Well, that's about it. We've come full circle now. Move along, folks; there's nothing more to see here... :D
:lol:​
Yeah, well - I guess so. I don't see SB adopting an official rating system tho. I remember Pete telling me what he answered when asked by the press what makes SB work so well: "The members. They make it what it is. We just keep it in line."

DandyDon:
Sounds like maybe you'd like something like Trip Advisor...?

I don't want anything! Like I said, I have a preferred op and am perfectly capable of reading trip reports, assessing the information and formulating my own decision. I my line of work, I find solutions to problems (IT software related) and I couldn't get out of the mode to finding a solution to what I perceived to be a problem when it comes to excessive cheer leading or axe grinding about a dive op in Cozumel. I also thought it'd be good for the occasional visitor that we see week in and week out start a new thread asking who the best dive op is.

I agree this thread has run it's course... there is nothing new here and I'm getting tired of defending my original intentions.

Haha ok, have a a goodun....

I'm obviously very late to this party (maybe it's already over?), but will throw in my two cents anyway.

I've visited Cozumel (on a multi day stay) a grand total of one time. And my family and I used a grand total of one dive op while we were there.

I did a lot of research here and in other places before I began contacting prospective ops for our trip. What I found out was, as has been pointed out several times on this thread, is that the variety of dive operators, and of all of the parameters that one could use to quantify/differentiate them, on Cozumel are staggering. There truly is not a "one size fits all" best operator, while I'm confident that there are, at minimum, several that will satisfy the wants and needs of any diver/group.

The newbie here, that may not have the experience, time, patience, or knowledge to wade through years of reviews using the search function, might appreciate some central location for reviews. It may be too much from a moderator's workload, but I'd envision a sticky thread (perhaps even moderated to the point that new entries would have to be approved before publication) where first person reviews of ops could be posted, without rebuttal.

Some standardization of format could be incorporated so that the reader would know that my experience is limited to one operator and one trip and judge for themselves how much credibility they wish to assign to my opinion.

There could be a hard facts section where I could mention boat size, where we went, dive profiles,etc. as well as a "feelings" section where I could say how much my wife, kids, and myself bonded with the crew and why.

It would be easy to sort out what did and didn't matter to you.

Since I don't know when we'll be able to go again, and since I'd only likely use the same op as we did last time, this may not benefit me directly, but it could be useful to some folks.

I'm obviously very late to this party (maybe it's already over?), but will throw in my two cents anyway.
Nah, I think we'll drag this one for a long time to come. Welcome to the party.

Really, there are a lot of good ideas and suggestions here, many of which differ from my own but I still respect and appreciate them.
I've visited Cozumel (on a multi day stay) a grand total of one time. And my family and I used a grand total of one dive op while we were there.

I did a lot of research here and in other places before I began contacting prospective ops for our trip. What I found out was, as has been pointed out several times on this thread, is that the variety of dive operators, and of all of the parameters that one could use to quantify/differentiate them, on Cozumel are staggering. There truly is not a "one size fits all" best operator, while I'm confident that there are, at minimum, several that will satisfy the wants and needs of any diver/group.
I think the competition is so active there that one has little to worry about myself.
The newbie here, that may not have the experience, time, patience, or knowledge to wade through years of reviews using the search function, might appreciate some central location for reviews.
Would that newbie actually know enough coming in to know what to look for and chose from...?
It may be too much from a moderator's workload, but I'd envision a sticky thread (perhaps even moderated to the point that new entries would have to be approved before publication) where first person reviews of ops could be posted, without rebuttal.

Some standardization of format could be incorporated so that the reader would know that my experience is limited to one operator and one trip and judge for themselves how much credibility they wish to assign to my opinion.

There could be a hard facts section where I could mention boat size, where we went, dive profiles,etc. as well as a "feelings" section where I could say how much my wife, kids, and myself bonded with the crew and why.

It would be easy to sort out what did and didn't matter to you.
Funny, I've dived over dozen different locations around North & Central America and I usually have just gone to learn how they did it there. If it were my first trip to your waters for example, I'd like to know if my yoke valve reg would fit your tanks, can I get 100-125 cf tanks, water protection needed and some safety questions - but mostly I'd come to learn, not shop in advance for what I wanted.
Since I don't know when we'll be able to go again, and since I'd only likely use the same op as we did last time, this may not benefit me directly, but it could be useful to some folks.
Hope you get to return someday soon, and if you use the same Op - great, hope they are the same as you left them. Even that changes tho...

The worst experiences I've had were with an Op in Belize, and they were horrible - but I had a good trip anyway, better than some because I prepared for possible problems perhaps, but it was good. Now, I understand from good sources that the Op has become one of the best in that competityive location. Ya' never know 'til you get there, huh?

Interestingly, I got contacted by the guys who run this website: Scubadviser | Scuba Diving | Dive Centre Reviews | Liveaboard Reviews

They say that they are trying to put together reasonably neutrel reviews from dive operations around the world, stressing what they do and what they don't do. Early days yet, but I was glad to try and help.

Rhone Man:
Interestingly, I got contacted by the guys who run this website: Scubadviser | Scuba Diving | Dive Centre Reviews | Liveaboard Reviews

Nice site but a bit slow.

interesting they didn't follow Tripadvisor's lead and spell "advisor" the same way. I was always taught that "adviser" was incorrect, but I see that "er" is an acceptable spelling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom