Dive Phillipines from Hong Kong January 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Centrals for the info about not booking through a HK LDS though it may be difficult to convince my hubby. He thinks it's better to go with them the first time. Maybe until I tell him how much we can save. :D Chinese love to save $$$. (He's Chinese from HK and I'm not and from Canada)

I see how to save money by using public transit but it does mean flying in the night before. Not too bad really because the hotel where the bus leaves from is less than $50/night and you're right there with no chance to miss it. Also much cheaper than our HK hotel. You are correct that La Laguna Beach Resort is on Big La Laguna which is farthest away from Sabang Beach and the ferry. How and how much to get from there to the resort. By banca or by car? We'll only have two bags - one dive bag and one small suitcase. The other two big suitcases are being left behind in HK.

Thanks Codman for your info. I didn't realize La Laguna was considered "luxury". What other places are good? We don't need a pool or fancy extras. Just clean and close to cheap eats. I don't want to be in the middle of Sabang Beach and the nightlife as we don't drink or party. Too old. :rofl3:

As for being spoiled...that's okay as we are retiring in Hong Kong in 2013 so we'll only have one more dive trip to the Caribbean in September 2012 and possibly Spring 2013 before we move and all our diving will be from HK. :D

1. Joining the local dive group might actually save you some money BUT would you prefer regimented style package or flexibility? You call the shot NOT the tour leader.
2. LBC can indeed offer very expensive ocean view room but there are alternative as well. You have either to walk along the beach or take the banca from Sabang to Big LaLaguna or you can hire a porter or two to do the heavy work.
3. Angelyn and Step Garden are the two places that would get my recommendation in Sabang. The detached cottages of Step Garden up on the small hill offer grand view of Sabang Bay and beyond. While the relatively new buildings of Angelyn offer luxury feel but at local price. Angelyn is going to operate its own dive shop soon. Frontier Divers can offer individual package utilize both resorts.
4. Retiring from Toronto to HK. Bye Bye -20C.
5. CNY 2012 is from 23rd Jan, cor U2 do plan well ahead!!

Last edited:
Just recently came back from a Puerto Galera vacation (dec 8-12, 2010) and stayed at Atlantis Resort (a high-end resort), where my wife and I were the only local guests. Although it is one of the most expensive if not the most expensive in the area, service is par excellence and I would recommend it to anyone whose going to puerto galera and prefers excellent accomodation, service, and is quite picky about food. During surface intervals and on the topside, we likewise went around the Sabang, small and big Lalaguna beaches, inquired about the accomodations as well as the diving rates of a lot of the resorts there in Puerto Galera.

But based on my honest assessment of the dive sites in puerto galera, I would rather prefer to stay and dive the Anilao area. Why? visibility and diversity of marine life for the puerto galera dive sites is just similar to the dive sites along the Anilao shorelines such as Twin Rocks, Cathedral, Arthur's rock, etc. However, across Anilao, the dive sites near Maricaban and Sombrero Islands, such as Beatriz Rock, Sombrero Batok, Saddle, Bahura, Kirby's Rock, to name a few offers better visibility. One may argue that Verde Islands (which has excellent visibility and diverse marine life) can reached more easily be reached if one is staying in Puerto Galera. However, even if you're staying at Anilao, most of the resorts there offer and can arrange a day-trip to Verde Island. I have some diver friends who were able to dive both in Verde Islands and Puerto Galera dive sites by leaving early morning and were still able to return to Anilao in the evening. But more importantly, the diving rates, as well as accomodations in Anilao is still cheaper compared to Puerto Galera.

A lot of divers out there express a contrary opinion, but honestly, that's my own personal observation.

I would have to say Puerto Galera is the place to go, its about 3-4 hours south of Manila, the diving is great and water is warm, I would recommend the Big Apple diving resort, rooms for two are about 20.00 and diving is about 22.00 per dive. The sabang wreck is about 100 yards off the front of the Big Apple at about 100 feet, thats a beautiful dive, shoping is good, entertinment is very good and overall you will have a great time. If you have any questions e-mail me and I will be more than happy to answer any questions

Lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom