Dive Report - Breakwater - 10 Oct 09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Prime dive buddy Ted hasn't been in the water for a few weeks so in preparation for next weeks boat dive we went to the bunny slopes to knock some rust off.

It was overcast and a bit gloomy when we rolled into the BW at around 9 and amazingly we found parking on the wall (Ted: Dude it's October!)

There were plenty of classes going on and the water was almost glass. Very calm.

We dropped at the bend into about 5 ft fuzzy vis. Scootered out to the Barge and it opened up to 10. It was very nice at the Barge... still water, lots of critters to watch and a commerant who came down 4-5 times and we got to watch him hunt and catch small fish. It was amazing how easily he would just swim around and pay us no notice.
It was silly watching a bird at 65 FSW just go about it's business.

Once we got our fill of the Barge we pointed our rides toward the Metridium fields and hit the trigger... this is where it gets difficult. The vis dropped to less than 5 ft.... oh and the Sea Nettles were about. We had to dodge, duck, dive and dodge all the way to the fields. Between the Barge and Met fields there were a lot of squid eggs... huge mats... a couple large crabs feeding on them but other than that it was a lot of sand.

We hit a small outcropping of the deeper mets then had to turn to exit when I was heads down checking my spg or something when

*BAM*

Tentacles!!!

not just tentacles... I'm seeing the frilly lace panties of the inside of a Huge Sea Nettle! It must have been big because Ted said my head disappeared inside of it!

I was stunned... gritting hard on the mouthpiece and trying to break hard left to pull myself out of it... My whole face was enveloped and I could feel the pain from my left cheek to my upper lip and my right cheek and right forehead. After I was able to free myself I tried to calm myself and sit still for a while... but I was cursing thru my reg and wanted out of there... Ted took the lead and brought us back to the shallows and to the exit... Thanks to the guys at Aquarius for the Jelly first aid gel... it helped. I have welts accross my face and following the mask skirt and a fat lip from my close encounter

Lunch at the BW deli and got to chat with Don's Essentials class and some other friends. Passed on dive 2.

Lesson of the day? Unless you are a Jellyfish gynecologist, looking up a Sea Nettle's skirt will only get you a fat lip. :shocked2:

some pictures:

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
OUCH! I hate sea nettles with such a passion.

Vis at lobos today was similar - 5-7 feet, by Gombessa's estimation. Fortunately it was relatively jelly free.

Ben I wish I had known you were there, I was there too, with fobturbo, and parked right next to Don and his class. Right next to Mike Mills, actually, who was next to Mike Guerrero, who was next to Don who was next to Kathydee. It was a SB party and we didn't know it!

Oh, we did the met fields today, too, 5-10 foot viz, only saw a few sea nettles, was easy enough to dodge them. We did a pretty good job navigating back in, very short surface swim.
Second dive was to Breakwater wall, only sea nettles we saw there were either stuck in the kelp or being eaten by crabs and bat stars. Saw the carpet of squid eggs, first dive was less than an hour, second dive was my longest ever, 71 minutes. Did S-drills both dives and a weight check the second which went pretty well. Apparently I left my fins on the Cypress Sea yesterday, so when I got to Breakwater and laid out my gear, I then saw I had a problem.
Rented them for about 8 bucks, but they were way stiffer and heavier than my split fins, my quads definitely got a workout today. I was lucky this time, one of the members of my dive club found them and will be able to get them back to me.
5 dives this weekend, hanging up the mask till next time....

Ben I wish I had known you were there, I was there too, with fobturbo, and parked right next to Don and his class. Right next to Mike Mills, actually, who was next to Mike Guerrero, who was next to Don who was next to Kathydee. It was a SB party and we didn't know it!

Too bad....We stopped by and chit chatted with them for a while before and after the dive. Maybe next time

Ohhhh man. I'm laughing so hard right now! Schadenfreude, gotta love it.

Hepcat and I got out to Lobos, but we didn't make it too far. Planned an easy dive to Middle Reef in order to test out some drysuit modifications I've had made. Viz was, as described, less than 10ft. There were a few big rockfish out, not much else (that we could see). Thankfully, no nettles.

Hoping next week will be better!

Oh, I died laughing reading your review! I did a lousy dive on Saturday to Eric's Pinnacle on Beach Hopper 2. The viz was crap, and the anchor line was like a version of jellyfish Frogger from 5' to 35'. They were thick! I got one stuck on my left arm as the current was carrying me away from the anchor line. Just like you, I shouted a few choice words through my reg.

Yup, finning would have been a better choice... but the long leg from the Barge to the Met fields is a very long kick :(

lips and cheeks are still swollen.. looks like Nils hit me with his wrench.... Good thing I'm off tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom