Dive Report: Destin Jetties East 05-17-2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Tom, They Blennies were defiantely cooperating on this trip!

That is the coolest blenny picture I've ever seen. The cilli almost look like horns. The nearest thing I can find in the Humann book is a Zebratail.

Great photos!!

The key to tying off your flag is to not stray to far away from it, but to date the Scuba police have not busted me for tying it off! :wink:

So you guys are tying your flag on somewhere instead of towing it? Is that legal? I just ask because I'll be at the jetties next tuesday.

Minus a strobe and a close up lens, this was my first experience with underwater photography. With this said, here are my best of 350 photos from this weekends Destin dives. I wasn't fast enough for Mrxray's picture with sunglasses. He was blind, therefore he did not know if I had taken the picture.

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009086.jpg

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009109.jpg

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009107.jpg

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009105.jpg

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009087.jpg

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009134.jpg

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009080.jpg

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009075.jpg

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009071.jpg

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009060.jpg

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009053.jpg

Destin_Jetties_05_17_2009028.jpg

Hey man nice shots! Welcome to the addictive sport of Underwater photography! Trust me when I say the pictures will keep getting better and better as your wallet gets thinner and thinner! I can't wait to hook up with you again.

Great Pics Jason! Very Impressive for a first-timer, especially considering you were shooting sans strobe!

Thanks, I will have a strobe for the next dive.

MRXRAY,

Tell me about where the "box" is that you guys are tieing off to. I'm going to be diving the jetties there in Destin in the later part of June. I dove the jetties there about 2 years ago and we actually went out on one of the dive shops snorkel trips but dove off the snorkel boat(will not make that mistake again! They charged us just like we were going out on the cattle boat to do a dive in the gulf!). We very much enjoyed the dive at the jetties but I didn't remember seeing the "box" you refered to that you can tie off to. I think the walk in is a great idea and I have got to figure out a buggy system to pull our gear in with(any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated). Thanks in advance.

Larry

Larry, First the Walking in part. Unless you have a reason to not suit up at the car and be ready to dive once to the beach then I'd do just that! I have seen a lot of people carry gear to the beach (Multiple trips) and I'll have to tell you from personal experience.....IT SUCKS! Sea Yoda has a cart that cost over $300 and it is the only cart that does well in the sand for hauling gear. If you didn't have to skip a car payment to buy your sand cart then wear your gear to the beach!

Next, the "Box" location is in about 20-25 feet of water at the beginning of the dive. Stay all the way to the far side of the East Finger Jetty and follow the sand/rock line down and you can't miss it. Take a carabiner or something to use to tie your flags reel off with as there is a rope in the box for just that pupose. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom